Large Compression Connectors: dies, c-taps, and tools (Oh, my!)

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Folks, am looking for a site that fully explains all the options for making compression connections on large wire. I am afraid I don't have much experience with this. In particular, am getting involved in #2 awg grounding systems. I think the installations I am seeing can be improved with C-taps. But all in all I am looking to obtain a broad knowledge base.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Look at mfgs literature from Greenlee and Burndy. See if you can meet a sales rep at wholesale house
And the size of wires determines tool type. T&B tools are to be used with T&B lugs. I would look at tools from a mfg that does not make lugs, such as greenlee or Milwaukee. I would get a tool that does H taps for sure

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Probably something low-tech, like a long handled manual tool, but I need to understand all the options.
Since you want low tech yes a manual tool is fine. You can buy a kit that will do something like #12-#2/0. If you think that you'll be doing larger conductors then a battery crimper would be my choice. The Milwaukee crimpers that we use on the job are great but there is a big upfront cost.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I might get kicked off the forum for admitting this, but I have two different style of manual Temco crimpers, the hexagon kit, and the single point, adjustable style.

I use them constantly, they seem to be good quality, and the one with dies goes up to 600mcm I believe.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Thanks everyone. Let me give an example of my searching and PLEASE tell me if I got this right. I want to join two #2 awg stranded grounding conductors using a long handled manual crimper.

From page 17 of the Burndy catalog https://hubbellcdn.com/ohwassets/HC...cessories/images/BURNDY_Grounding_Catalog.pdf I see that a YGHC2C2 connector will do the job. The "Die Index No." is C, but the crimping tools are all hydraulic; none are long handled manual. Dead end?

So I try starting from the tool, instead of the connector. Greenlee makes the long handled manual crimpers. From their literature https://cdn.greenlee.com/resources/...79-f1c3891f88eb&languageCode=en&type=document I have a choice of tools that can accept type W, GB, O, and/or D3.

Starting with the W type, I find Burndy has a WC die https://www.hubbell.com/burndy/en/P.../Dies/Stainless-Steel-W-Die-Index-C/p/2026257 with manual crimpers MD6 and MD7 as options. Since this is a W type die, the Greenlee manual crimper would work too. Right, or wrong?

To understand W dies better I find this short video:

I take a look at Greenlee's die selection and do not find a WC die.

(Btw, I had gone to our local distributor and was shown the empty bin where the connectors should have been and was told that they thought the tool could be rented. <sigh>)

SO IS THIS RIGHT? I can crimp a Burndy YGHC2C2 connector with a Burndy WC die in a Burndy MD6 or MD7 tool or one of the Greenlee K425xxx series tools?

OK, my head hurts. I'd also like to be able to crimp #2 stranded directly onto 3/4" ground rod with a manual crimper, but am not going to try to figure that one out right now.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Low tech I use my old Burndy Die-less MY293 crimper. Does good job for most of my crimping needs works with most die-less crimp fittings up to 250.
1704112905106.png

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
To crimp to ground rods may require a battery tool or hydraulic one. I used cad weld to ground rods for radio sites, and it’s common to use compression tools at radio sites. But for ordinary services a Erico/cadweld hammer lock is a compression connector installed with a hammer, simple and fast

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Since you want low tech yes a manual tool is fine. You can buy a kit that will do something like #12-#2/0. If you think that you'll be doing larger conductors then a battery crimper would be my choice. The Milwaukee crimpers that we use on the job are great but there is a big upfront cost.
We use Milwaukee and the greenlee gators. We do some very large grounding jobs that all require c-crimps but they are lovely.