Large equipment Egress

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector 102

Article 110.26(C)(2)(a) indicates that if a continous and unobstructed way of exit travel is provided that a single exit is allowed. Is this to mean a clear and straight shot to the door of the electrical room, or there can be no door on the electrical room, and what would be a maximum travel distance allowed to reach the exit? I have a 3000 amp service measuring 16 feet width total located directly inside a double door. There are no other exits from the space and I feel that the second exit is in order if the unobstructed exit does not allow a door. If the door is allowable then panic hardware is all that will be needed. What are the thoughts of those more knowledgable.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Large equipment Egress

I assume you mean that when you walk into the double door, you are facing the equipment (and the equipment streaches out to your left and right). Since the equipment is 16' wide, and the door is probably 6'-8' wide, I don't think the unobstructed exit applies. Unless you have the double working space in front of the equipment. (See exception B in the 2002 code).

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I really don?t understand what you are trying to describe. But here?s a few tidbits that may help:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are working on the equipment, and you want to leave, and you head toward the exit, and you find that you have to open a door in order to get out, then that is OK. But the door has to open outwards, and has to have the ?panic hardware.?</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you can stand anywhere along the front line of the switchgear, and you can see a clear path between yourself and the exit door (meaning that there is no structural column, conduit run, or electrical box you would have to walk around), then 110.26(C)(2)(a) might apply.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I said ?might apply,? because there are two additional considerations:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you have to be able to work on the back of the switchboard, and if you would therefore have to walk around to the front before you can see the exit, then you must have a second exit installed.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In order to work on any given section of the switchboard, you have to open the front panel cover. Suppose that the panel covers are hinged (i.e., you do not get to take them off completely). In order to take credit for the ?unobstructed exit,? the panel covers have to swing in a direction that would not place them between the worker and the door. In other words, while you have your hands inside the switchboard, turn your head toward the exit. If you see the hinged open panel cover, then the path to the exit is not ?unobstructed.? I would strongly suspect that your installation would fail this test. This is similar to what I think Steve had suggested.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does this answer your question?

[ December 16, 2004, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

yanert

I have always wondered about panic hardware. I know the door is supposed to swing outward, but what about the hardware? Does it have to be some sort of plate that you push? Or can it be a large lever like door mechanism that you sometimes see in commercial settings?

inspector 102

The particular setting is that you would walk into the electrical room through a set of door 3-0 doors. The switchgear would be along the left side of the room directly as you walk in. There is 8 feet (approx) in front of the switchgear with no obstructions located along the egress path. The door swing in the direction of travel, however currently do not have paninc or push bars on them, only a regular lever lock handle. The intent of unobstructed is the true question as to whether the door assembly itself would be considered an obstruction. If the door was closed, and the power went out, the opening way not be visible to the occupant. Since exit signs and emergency illumination may not be present, how does this impact egress. If there are two exits required from the electrical room, then the International Building Codes would require exits signs in the room. Thanks for the comments and any additional.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I wondered if that is what you meant. To reaffirm my earlier statement, the door itself does not count as an obstruction. As to the ?panic hardware,? the thing you want to avoid is having to grab the door handle and twist it clockwise or counterclockwise. In my hotel?s corridors, the doors leading outside have horizontal bars. If my hands are full, I usually turn sideways and bump it with my hip. That type of hardware counts, as far as 110.26(C)(2) is concerned.

If you really have 8 feet of space between the front of the switchgear and the wall that contains the door, then you have the ?double working space? that Steve mentioned. You can use 110.26(C)(2)(b) (2002 version).

But you need to put an exit light at that door! It can be battery-operated, if the maintenance program includes checking and replacing batteries as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.