Laundry circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmie

This question is very similar to one I read about small appliance circuits, which had quite afew different view points. In a laundry room.
If you supply one circuit for a washing machine
and then add a second circuit for conveneice is the second circuit also a laundry circuit limited to the laundry area and shall have no other outlets ?

milwaukeesteve

Re: Laundry circuit

Correct. Laundry circuits are for laundry receptacles/equipment only.

However, the washing maching generally does not require its own circuit. All your outlets in the laundry can be on one circuit, including the washer and (gas) dryer.

You cannot utilize that circuit for lights or exhaust fans in that room, nor can you continue the circuit outside that room.

physis

My reading of 210.11(C)(2) and 210.52(F) is that you can put more than one "laundry receptacle" on the laundry circuit. If you have another laundry circuit supllying a second "laundry receptacle" then it can't have any other outlets that aren't "laundry receptacles".

What I don't know is what a "laundry receptacle"
is.

Edit: I guess 210.52(F) calling it a "laundry area" explains what a laundry receptacle is.

[ June 30, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

mdshunk

A laundry receptacle is any receptacle in the laundry room or laundry area. Laundry receptacles are not just used for the clothes washer. There is often a laundry receptacle for an iron. I should note that many modern women are unfamaliar with this iron technology.

[ June 30, 2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

electricmanscott

Depending on your point of view once you satisfy the requirement for the required laundry circuit you can do whatever you want with additional circuits.

jwelectric

Originally posted by physis:

If you have another laundry circuit supllying a second "laundry receptacle" then it can't have any other outlets that aren't "laundry receptacles".
Care should be taken here that we don?t have another thread being lock due to a discussion being started up about:

220.52 (B) Laundry Circuit Load. A load of not less than 1500 volt-amperes shall be included for each 2-wire laundry branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(2). This load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subjected to the demand factors provided in Table 220.42.

Here again we see the word each when only one is required.
:)

[ June 30, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

physis

By Larry:

my wife says it's that basket thing :D

ph_stores2_1.jpg

B

bthielen

I'm interpreting this question a little differently. Are all receptacles in a laundry area required to be on a laundry circuit(s) or is it only a requirement that at least one receptacle be provided that is on a 20A laundry circuit?

In other words, if I install a circuit with a receptacle that satisfies the required laundry circuit, can I also add other receptacles in the area that are served by a lighting circuit?

Bob

physis

That's the rub. Like Scott said "depending on your view".

In typical CMP 2 style, you could say:

A) Once you have "a" laundry receptacle you're free to add general purpose receptacles.

Or.

B) 210.52(F) covers the "laundry area" and the receptacles installed there will have to be on a laundry circuit.

You might as well flip a coin but for the record I agree with Scott. That's Position A.

jwelectric

Once you have fulfilled the requirements of:

210.11 (C) (2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

210.52 (F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.

Now you are at liberty to install what ever circuits your heart desires. (maybe one for the dryer)

210.11 (C) (2) requires that at least one 20 amp circuit be installed and 210.52 (F) requires that at least one receptacle be installed for the laundry.

allenwayne

I read 210.11 C 2,as saying that there shall be a 20 amp laundry circuit to serve the receptacle(s) in that laundry room.It shall serve no other outlets.
IMO that can include a das dryer ignitor recep. another receptacle in that laundry area only 220.52 (B) Laundry Circuit Load. A load of not less than 1500 volt-amperes shall be included for each 2-wire laundry branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(2). This load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subjected to the demand factors provided in Table 220.42.
jw that must be in 2005 book

As long as there is a receptacle for a washer and /or other optional receptacle(s)
that stay within the confines of the LAUNDRY area
and as lomg as required lighting circuit is not part of this 20 amp circuit all is good

jwelectric

allenwayne

Be careful bring up 220.52 as this thread may get lock.

220.52 only applies to the to the service and feeder calculations. It has nothing to do with the requirement for circuits or receptacles. We stay in 210 for the requirements of circuits and receptacles as outlined here:

210.11 Branch Circuits Required.
And
III. Required Outlets 210.50 General.Receptacle outlets shall be installed as specified in 210.52 through 210.63.
This is why I used the references 210.11 (C) (2) and 210.52 (F) as these are the sections that address the requirements for the laundry circuit and receptacle.

You are correct in your statement here:

IMO that can include a das dryer ignitor recep.
and
As long as there is a receptacle for a washer and /or other optional receptacle(s)
that stay within the confines of the LAUNDRY area
and as lomg as required lighting circuit is not part of this 20 amp circuit all is good
But your statement here:

220.52 (B) Laundry Circuit Load. A load of not less than 1500 volt-amperes shall be included for each 2-wire laundry branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(2). This load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subjected to the demand factors provided in Table 220.42.
This only addresses the service and feeder loads and instructs us that if we have more than one laundry circuit that EACH one of them are to be included in our service calculation.
ARTICLE 220 Branch-Circuit, Feeder, and Service Calculations

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jw,
Be careful bring up 220.52 as this thread may get lock.
I think that you are being unfair. I closed a 12 page thread because there was no new information to be posted and no minds were going to be changed. The subject came up in a second thread after I advised that we would not be repeating the long thread so I closed the second thread. I see no reason to keep a thread open where the same information is being repeatedly posted. It is not helpful and makes many members tune out the thread because it is too long.
Don

jwelectric

Don
This is exactly what I am referring to with my statement ?Be careful bring up 220.52 as this thread may get lock.?

I can see this thread getting into a heated debate as weather the service calculation would require two or more laundry circuits to be added at the rare of 1500 watts each.
After all 220.52 (B) has the same wording as does (A) in that it states, for each 2-wire laundry branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(2).

This could be debated as to how many are required by 210.11(C)(2) with out regard to how many are installed.

I was also trying to make the point that 220.52 has no bearing on the required circuits nor receptacles.

milwaukeesteve

jw is correct about 220.52 it only is used for load calculations and not determining when, where and how many.

Scott is correct in saying that once the minmum is met.... 210.52(F) states that 'at least one' recept. That only requires us one. More are allowed but not require. (unlike kitchen SA receptacles when it states 'all recepts')

Also, unless this is a special washing machine that requires its own circuit, your 'laundry' and 'washer' can be the same circuits.

paul32

Originally posted by jwelectric:
I can see this thread getting into a heated debate as weather the service calculation would require two or more laundry circuits to be added at the rare of 1500 watts each.
After all 220.52 (B) has the same wording as does (A) in that it states, for each 2-wire laundry branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(2).
This thread didn't say anything about 220.52 until you brought it up. :)

Don locked the other thread because there was no new information, but the parallel wording of 220.52(A) and (B) is a new twist. Should that thread be unlocked? ;) Does that change anyone's mind on that issue?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by paul32:
Don locked the other thread because there was no new information, but the parallel wording of 220.52(A) and (B) is a new twist. Should that thread be unlocked? ;) Does that change anyone's mind on that issue?
No and No. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.