Laundry circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: Laundry circuit

Originally posted by paul32:
Originally posted by jwelectric:
I can see this thread getting into a heated debate as weather the service calculation would require two or more laundry circuits to be added at the rare of 1500 watts each.
After all 220.52 (B) has the same wording as does (A) in that it states, for each 2-wire laundry branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(2).
This thread didn't say anything about 220.52 until you brought it up. :)

Don locked the other thread because there was no new information, but the parallel wording of 220.52(A) and (B) is a new twist. Should that thread be unlocked? :eek:

Slap me in the mouth and tell me to shut up. Sorry :eek:

sfav8r

Originally posted by physis:
That's the rub. Like Scott said "depending on your view".

In typical CMP 2 style, you could say:

A) Once you have "a" laundry receptacle you're free to add general purpose receptacles.

Or.

B) 210.52(F) covers the "laundry area" and the receptacles installed there will have to be on a laundry circuit.

You might as well flip a coin but for the record I agree with Scott. That's Position A.
Well luckily for us here in San Francisco, we have an inspector who has some sort of telepathy that allows him to KNOW exactly what the authors intended. For the edification of all who care, I'll share his thoughts:

When I approached him on an upcoming job re: 210.11(c) and 210.52(f)he was adamant that there is no confusion whatsoever. There is to be one 20a circuit for the washing machine and dryer and there is to be no additional outlets on this circuit. Period.

I then asked what he thought the authors meant by the term laundry "outlet or outlets." Lucky for us all he knew exactly. The provision for outlets (plural) is in the event that the washer and dryer are too far apart to be serviced by one receptacle.

I said, "well that's certainly a possibility, do you think it's possible they meant you could have an additional outlet for some other laundry appliance like an iron?"

"NO, an iron is not considered laundry equipment, it goes on a convenience outlet. You'd have to be an attorney to twist the words to mean anything else."

I feel compelled to add that this is by no means the typical response of an Inspector in SF. Most are smart, reasonable and fair. It's just that I have been dealing with this one guy for the last few weeks and it's enough to make we want to retire.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Gee, I can't wait to tell my Significant Other that ironing is a convenience, and not laundry! :D

peter d

Originally posted by sfav8r:
Well luckily for us here in San Francisco, we have an inspector who has some sort of telepathy that allows him to KNOW exactly what the authors intended.
This inspector must get around a lot. 3000 miles to the east, the local inspector here says that the laundry receptacle can only serve one appliance, and must be a single receptacle at that!! Additional loads and receptacles require additional 20 amp circuits. :roll:

physis

Sfav8r, you're inspector's solid understaning of the two sections is comedic considering there's absolutely no mention of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.