Laundry Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
I am running a dedicated 120v 20 amp circuit for the laundry area in an old farm house as required by the 2014 code. This circuit needs to be protected by a AFCI/GFCI device. I was planning on using an afci/gfci 20 amp Leviton outlet. Unfortunately I can only get my hands on a 15 amp. Because it is a duplex outlet, article 210 allows me to install a 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp circuit. Is this correct?

MAC702

I am running a dedicated 120v 20 amp circuit for the laundry area in an old farm house as required by the 2014 code. This circuit needs to be protected by a AFCI/GFCI device. I was planning on using an afci/gfci 20 amp Leviton outlet. Unfortunately I can only get my hands on a 15 amp. Because it is a duplex outlet, article 210 allows me to install a 15 amp outlet on a 20 amp circuit. Is this correct?

As I have recently learned here, yes! Don't know how I missed it all these years, but I don't install them, just fix them, so I never had studied it before.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Using a 15 amp duplex is fine on a 20 amp circuit but I believe that new circuit has to be AFCI protected at the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thank you for the reply. NC is still on the 2014 code. With 12 gauge wire we get up to 70 feet from the ocpd.

I am not sure why inspectors are allowing this 70' concept. That is only allowed if you use a breaker and afci receptacle that are listed for this use. This would not be a standard breaker, as I understand it, and there is not one manufactured afaik. [MENTION=150337]Saturn_Europa[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
I am not sure why inspectors are allowing this 70' concept. That is only allowed if you use a breaker and afci receptacle that are listed for this use. This would not be a standard breaker, as I understand it, and there is not one manufactured afaik. [MENTION=150337]Saturn_Europa[/MENTION]

Dennis, thank you for the clarification.

kwired

Electron manager
Unless there are amendments, keep in mind your GFCI must be readily accessible. Though determination of readily accessible varies from place to place as well.

480sparky

Unless there are amendments, keep in mind your GFCI must be readily accessible. Though determination of readily accessible varies from place to place as well.

And sometimes, it's whether Starbucks got the inspector's order correct that morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.