Law about live work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady Electric

Law about live work

It really is good to see such different statements.
I do believe some of you that have come on this subject late need to start from the front and catch up. We are starting to repeat ourselves. I am also not going to keep taking up for myself anymore.
I know I am a safe and knowledgeable electrician and think about each job before I do it and complete it as safe as possible.
Being a Baptist which I think is still a christian I do not believe in luck. I like to say I'm fortunate that things turn out like they do. I believe as electricians we need to know our trade as well as we can and do our work as safe as possible. I also keep up on the new codes and take pride in neat work and doing jobs safely.
I probable don't know the code as well as I-Wire but I do keep a code book with me and I like the NEC code handbook. I am also a member of the NFPA and support code issues and changes. I also go to Mike Holt's web site everyday and stay up on new issues.
I learn something everyday and am proud to say after being in bussiness for over thirty years I have only had a back injury which was not due to my job.
Thanks to everyone that has took part in this form and remember we are here to help each other think and do things better. NOT HEAR TO BASH EACH OTHER. As a former Marine we a Electricians need to learn to stick together and support each other.
I am not perfect but I try everyday to be a good example to everyone I meet. The Electrical Inspectors city and county respect me and like my work and I have the best customers I have ever had. If I didn't get anymore work this year I have enough to last until the middle of November.
Its just me and my best friend working together in my bussiness.
Hope all of you have a Safe and GREAT day. Semper Fi

bigfoot

bigfoot

bigfoot

Working on live circuits requires knowlege of what can and cannot be touched by bare hands. You can't be an electrician and be afraid of electricity, fear is what gets people killed. I've known guys that were hurt worse by trying to get away from a "shock". when you are electrical maintenance in an occupied building sometimes there is no alternitive, when trying to locate a problem, I would'nt have it any other way. ofcoarse if you have the choice, you should go for un-energized, espeacially in higher voltages.

Lampman

Live Work

Live Work

This will be a never ending problem for those of us in the electrical industry. I am constantly reminding my guys of the dangers of working live. I have been in this trade for 10 years and have seen two men that I knew die from 277 and 480 volt.

Just remember this when someone says "It cant be turned off" When the breaker trips for some reason or the power is cut off because of a storm. That which cant be turned off is now OFF. So with proper planning any circuit can be shut off.

Do not let someone put your life in danger to save a couple bucks and get the job done faster. Nothing is more important than sending your employees home safe and sound every day.

Lampman

"We do a lot of retrofits to lights.They simply will not go for turning off the lights.And if you bid it to be done at night your likely to be high bidder".

Jim W,

About 75% of my business is lighting retro-fits, its a great way to make money these days with everyone going GREEN and the old T-12's being phased out. However I cannot get the jobs done with dead or injured electricians.

Your customers wont go for turning the lights off but they will accept you putting the lives of your men in danger? Schedule the retro-fits at night or plan for certain areas to be shut down one circuit at a time. It has been my expierence that most customers have no problem with losing some of there lighting especially when each fixture takes only about 10 minutes to retro-fit.

Do you think you will get repeat business from your customers or their friends if one of your employees DIES in there building? Of course not they will tell everyone they know what happened and your business will suffer.

All because you wanted to save money and " They simply will not go for turning off all the lights.

I spent a lot of time to get my license and do things right, and I WILL NOT have someone DIE while working for me. Of course I cannot be there on every job to make sure they turn it off but I will do everything in my power to make sure all my guys go home everyday.

Lampman

"I will pass the word to the family of the young man that died last year at the company I work for....I am sure they will feel better.

He was 24 and had a baby on the way"

I think everyone should read this again.

About this topic...

About this topic...

I was just working on a bus duct job where a worker thought that working it hot could get the job done faster.....Anyway, he is still in the hospital, (over three months), third degree burns on his chest and inhaled the flash, burning his lungs.

We had to replace the whole riser due to this event.

Is it really any benifit of working hot????

To answer the question of Brady Electric, YES, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO WORK HOT!!!! OSHA rules and regs forbit it unless the voltage is less than 50 volts to ground or the situation exists where turning it off could risk life (IE: Life support system).

Doesn't mean that some of us don't do it, just if you do and get hurt and they say you were working hot, you loose your insurance and workmans comp....Nice way to go huh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.