LB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would the box fill be lol. Would you have to ground the lb? how does one pull the wire out? In short, I would say hell no! Just mount a box and go in.

dhalleron

In my continuing education class last month the instructor said yes as long as the cubic inches are marked on the LB.

A small pulling el could not be used to splice.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In short, I would say hell no! Just mount a box and go in.
What would you say to this?

condulet_recpt_1.JPG

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is it real and is it still made. I doubt it complies with most current code cycles.
It is real, listed, and was made by Crouse Hinds, whether it is still made I don't know but, what codes would you say it would be violating?

BTW, notice the ground prong orientation. ;)

Roger

What would you say to this?

condulet_recpt_1.JPG

Roger

How difficult would it be to splice that plug if wires come in all sides? I am looking at that plug, and don't understand how the fill would work. Splicing three grounds in that little area? Wow, what a pain in the ass that would be. Even if one used a crimp sleeve. At least 2 wire nuts would have to fit in the conduit body for the hot and neutral

gotmud

What would the box fill be lol. Would you have to ground the lb? how does one pull the wire out? In short, I would say hell no! Just mount a box and go in.

well it's pvc so wouldn't ground it...but it's a situation that would be a big time saver to just splice a new piece of nm in lb and be done with it instead of cutting off lb and add juction box...without going into a long detail of why I ask this, lets just say it will save time and money for homeowner if I could just splice..:happyyes:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I wonder who thought that device would ever be worthwhile to mass produce? There's thinking outside the box but that person went way too far!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I wonder who thought that device would ever be worthwhile to mass produce? There's thinking outside the box but that person went way too far!
The first paper mill I worked in had these as the predominant method for supplying chain hung fixtures. Only put 2 #14 conductors in the conduit and you have plenty of room.;)

tkb

How difficult would it be to splice that plug if wires come in all sides? I am looking at that plug, and don't understand how the fill would work. Splicing three grounds in that little area? Wow, what a pain in the ass that would be. Even if one used a crimp sleeve. At least 2 wire nuts would have to fit in the conduit body for the hot and neutral

Why would there need to be ground wires? If it were a metalic raceway there would likely be no ground wire when these were installed.

M4gery

Why would there need to be ground wires? If it were a metalic raceway there would likely be no ground wire when these were installed.

That is unsubstantiated and in my opinion VERY far from the truth.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The first paper mill I worked in had these as the predominant method for supplying chain hung fixtures. Only put 2 #14 conductors in the conduit and you have plenty of room.;)
Jim, the one I posted came out of a paper mill.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Exactly, the receptacle in the illustration is self grounding through it's mounting clips.

Roger

Dunno, maybe it doesn't go back to the panel, or code satisfying ground source. It is easier with two wires. The picture shows 3 in/outs with a plug though. I wonder how that goes. I would be cussing i'm sure.

I see what your saying though. The difference between getting a job and not could be that redundant ground one could pull in. Or sizing the conduit one size smaller if not for that redundant ground

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dunno, maybe it doesn't go back to the panel, or code satisfying ground source. It is easier with two wires. The picture shows 3 in/outs with a plug though. I wonder how that goes. I would be cussing i'm sure.
You might but we never had problems with conductor fill in these situations, although in most cases we were only installing them in LB's, RB's, and C's.

Now, if you don't like the condulet duplex receptacle I bet you really won't like the duplex receptacle below (only one side showing) it screws into a 3/4 inch RMC coupling. :D

Mvc-024f.jpg

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.