Lead lined BX cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've run into this one time before and I think I posted it here but don't remember the answer(s). While renovating a residence I found an armored cable that had a lead covering over the insulated wires (it's usually paper or a waxed cloth covering) . I'm sure the cable is very old but I'm not sure why it was used inside the residence. I'm also unsure of why it was manufactured with the lead lining. If anyone knows the answers please post it here. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From the 1965 NEC:

334-6(b) Type AC. Metal-clad cable of the AC type may be used in dry locations; for under plaster extensions as provided in Article 344; and embedded in plaster finish on brick or other masonry, except in damp or wet locations. This cable may be run or fished in the air voids of masonry block or tile walls; where such walls are exposed or subject to excessive moisture or dampness or are below grade line, Type ACL cable shall be used. This cable shall contain lead-covered conductors (Type ACL), if used where exposed to the weather or to continuous moisture, for underground runs and embedded in masonry, concrete or fill in buildings in course of construction, or where exposed to oil, or other conditions having a deteriorating effect on the insulation. Type AC metal-clad cable shall not be used where prohibited elsewhere in this Code, including ( 1 ) in theatres, except as provided in Section 520-4; (2) in motion-picture studios; (3) in any hazardous locations; (4) where exposed to corrosive fumes or vapors; (5) on cranes or hoists, except as provid6d in Section 610-11 Exception No. 3; (6) in storage battery rooms; (7) in hoistways or on elevators, except as provided in Section 620-21; or (8) commercial garages where prohibited in Article 511.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
WOW !!! Thanks Rob. That was one hell of an explanation. For the record, I found this wire inside the house. No specific reason for using it that I could figure other than - that's what I had on the truck at the time and I wanted to get rid of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.