Illustrated Guide to Understanding the NEC......I purchased
these and they are chocked full of pictures and explanantory
information, whereas, the regular NPFA - 70 document is
pretty boring and [ very ] dry reading.

If the desired code books are the ICC flavor, ...then I would
recommend buying the Commentaries to the code books of
interest, ...and as always, regularly visit; and actually particpate
in, the various discussions on Forums where these types of
documents & standards are regularly discussed.

:cool:

BAHTAH

Learning the code

Learning the code

Read it. When your working have a code book available. After work read the areas of the code related to what you did that day. Over time you will learn what the code requires as your working and learn to check the code when you have a question about what your being asked to install.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
What's the best way to learn how to use the code book?
Every person learns differently. That said, the best way I have found, if you are referring to the NEC is this. Read entirely chapters 1-4. All electricians need information from all of these chapters every time they pick up a tool. Then using any of a ton of resources, find practice tests, test questions, code questions etc. Mike Holt has some great books for this along with on line resources from him and others. The thing is that the questions themselves aren't really that important. Whenever you are wanting to study, read the question, use the front table of contents and try to surmise which chapter and section the question is in. Find the answer. This is important, just because you know the answer still try to FIND it. You will,over time, start to know what type information is in what section. You will find amazing little snippets about other things every time you open the code, and then think, "Oh no, I violated that one before!" One other thing. Any time you are told, "The code says..." Look it up. You may or may not ask the person to tell you where it is, this can be "insulting" depending on the situation, but don't take any of us at our word. Read EXACTLY what the code does say. Personally I don't think you need to do much else to learn the code, with the possible exception of getting someone to tutor you on doing load calculations.

RICK NAPIER

If you can find good classes in your area I would highly recommend them. In a class setting you not only get the perspective of the instructor but the experience and perspective of the other students which may bring up issues you never even thought of.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This forum helped me learn the NEC. Starting very early on (and I have been involved in this forum for over 10 years), I would read other members' opinions on code-related issues. Then I would look up the articles that were cited by the other members. It helped my find my way around the book.

hurk27

I agree with the others, while I thought I had a good understanding of the code and the intent, being a member of the forum and participating in answering questions of others which makes you look it up, has given me a whole new incite to the code and what its really about.

I always try to keep an open mind, and when I'm wrong about something I'm grateful when someone steers me in the right direction, but having the NEC on the computer is a plus which allows for quick reference, and is a good investment for studying the code, Also look at what Mike Holt has to offer as he has all kinds of study guides that makes learning the code much easier, as well as videos, he also has a lot of free stuff if you look on the main page in the left column under free stuff.

jumper

If you can find good classes in your area I would highly recommend them. In a class setting you not only get the perspective of the instructor but the experience and perspective of the other students which may bring up issues you never even thought of.

This forum helped me learn the NEC. Starting very early on (and I have been involved in this forum for over 10 years), I would read other members' opinions on code-related issues. Then I would look up the articles that were cited by the other members. It helped my find my way around the book.

:thumbsup:

guschash

Thanks I try to all that was suggested. I read three electrical magazines and follow on this forum and was just looking to see if there was something I need to be doing that I'm not. Thanks again.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What's the best way to learn how to use the code book?
The best way I've found is to get involved in real world situations with experienced folks where making something code compliant is necessary. Practical applications tend to stick with you better than hypothetical ones.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The best way I've found is to get involved in real world situations with experienced folks where making something code compliant is necessary. Practical applications tend to stick with you better than hypothetical ones.
But getting enough diversity of experience that way to pass a test can take a long time and may require changing jobs a lot. :)

For the general goal of learning how to use the code book, yes, specific examples will teach you procedures that apply throughout the code. Such as always look for a different section that changes what you thought you just figured out. And that the wording is usually finely crafted for a reason and don't be too quick to apply common conversational English processing to the Code. :)
And that on rare occasions, it just seems to be screwed up.

Using a searchable electronic form of the NEC can be a big time saver over just working from a dog-eared hard copy. At least when going into an unfamiliar part of the Code.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
But getting enough diversity of experience that way to pass a test can take a long time and may require changing jobs a lot. :)

For the general goal of learning how to use the code book, yes, specific examples will teach you procedures that apply throughout the code. Such as always look for a different section that changes what you thought you just figured out. And that the wording is usually finely crafted for a reason and don't be too quick to apply common conversational English processing to the Code. :)
And that on rare occasions, it just seems to be screwed up.

Using a searchable electronic form of the NEC can be a big time saver over just working from a dog-eared hard copy. At least when going into an unfamiliar part of the Code.
FWIW, the OP didn't say anything about a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.