Leave, remove, ignore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

Isn't the EMT sufficient for the EGC without the undersized EGC's

So if the EMT is sufficent as the EGC, why wouldn't the undersized EGC conductors be allowed? They add fault capacity to the EMT.

I understand that the properly sized EGC in PVC, but EMT?

realolman

So if the EMT is sufficent as the EGC, why wouldn't the undersized EGC conductors be allowed? They add fault capacity to the EMT.

That's what I was thinking

pete m.

Since the EMT is sufficient (which I think we all agree on) how does having an EGC that is under-sized make it any less of a code violation?

I won't argue that the EGC, from the OP, will not add to the fault capacity of the bonding path but I will argue that it is a code violation and as such I could not approve it.

Pete

tkb

Since the EMT is sufficient (which I think we all agree on) how does having an EGC that is under-sized make it any less of a code violation?

I won't argue that the EGC, from the OP, will not add to the fault capacity of the bonding path but I will argue that it is a code violation and as such I could not approve it.

Pete

I agree that the undersized EGC in the EMT is a code violation, but it doesn't make sense because the EMT is a sufficient EGC to begin with and the EGC conductors are supplemental.

But we are talking NEC and not logic or common sense. :lol:

kwired

Electron manager

So if the EGC were 12AWG you would still feel this way? If not, what size is acceptable vs not acceptable, and why?

dlhoule

I've seen rigid conduit a few years after installation where there wasn't a good fault path. I'd say leave them there if possible.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Industrial is expanding a building and local codes have changed enough that they are now required to provide at least a single line drawing of the electrical system to the city. We put the service in years ago and the plant electrician has done the work since then. They had installed a 601 amp feeder in preparation for this expansion and to feed some equipment along the way. Three 2" emt conduits with 3/0 phase conductors and a #4 EG in each. I mentioned that they should have had 1/0 EGs, if used. Their question is "Remove the EGs completely, cut them off, or just leave it alone?" (Most likely the building officials won't catch it anyway.)

What is the ambient temp these conductors are in?
If it is less than 78F than the correction would let you squeeze that extra amp out and let tkb sleep peacefully tonight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.