Leaving a good impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

eds

Is it possible to leave a good impression with a potential GC if you decline to bid a project, (cold call from a new gc on a project)? Our name was dropped via our supply house, and a few other clients we have worked for. Labor shortage and incomplete print sets the 2 main reasons to decline. Incomplete prints likely not the fault of the gc, more-so the architect and designer.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Try to find out what happened to his regular EC. Chances are you won't be able to but 9 times out of 10 it's a failure to get paid issue. IMHO, I would never bid on incomplete drawings. Sorry, that's been my experience and I didn't mean to put a negative spin on this. Good luck anyway.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you decline a job, he will keep calling other EC's until he finds one that is willing. The next job he has he will call that EC first and then a few he hasn't called yet before calling you again. He may not be mad at you, but now you're at the back of the line for getting work from him.

That said, accepting one bad job can wipe out the profits from several good jobs.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeh, just say, “I’m currently committed to other projects. Please put me on your bid list and keep us in mind on future projects.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChandlerBing

Good Impression

Good Impression

I think that what has been mentioned above by [MENTION=91582]brantmacga[/MENTION] is a great way to approach it. Our company receives incomplete drawings all the time and we still bid it though. Is it a job that has other locations, like a restaurant chain for example because chances are they would be very similar. If not and it is something like a office space just bid it like how you bid your last office space. Finally though there may not be complete drawings is there a basis of design that you could gather information from. With all that said best of luck!

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm no expert but I wouldn't touch something with incomplete prints. Something is wrong and you will get a lot of unpleasant surprises. Inspections may not issue a permit, GC may come up with different ideas every day and then be outvoted or overruled by the customer or others involved. You will constantly be asked to move things and get grief when you try to charge for it. "But you gave us a quote". Payments will be held up or disputed for all kinds of trumped up reasons.

This is a clear sign someone doesn't know what he wants but wants you to commit to a price when he won't commit to a plan.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I'm no expert but I wouldn't touch something with incomplete prints.......

You will constantly be asked to move things and get grief when you try to charge for it. "But you gave us a quote". Payments will be held up or disputed for all kinds of trumped up reasons.

I always clearly define my proposal as a “budget proposal” when dealing with incomplete drawings. You can protect yourself with the right language.

The real issue to look out for is when they want to sign a contract that limits change-orders to 10% P&O, and basically try to change-order their way into a completed project.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Most of what i turn down are rop's ,basically the GC already has his picks lined up, but needs to show X amount of bids validating them. A lot of these are evident by the time frame they are sent out to the 'masses', a week or two before a job, where as the chosen few had months

~RJ~

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I used to add "based on prints dated XXXX or revisions #XXXXX, received XXXX date."

This wording helped me on a water chiller job with incomplete and incorrect information. 2nd (corrected) bid was about two times higher.

GC, "Why'd you raise your bid?"
Me, "Because I received the red-lines from the mechanical engineer yesterday after the pre-construction walkthrough and the configuration of the motor starter enclosures changed. The original bid wouldn't even cover the cost of the material."
GC, "You were already 20% higher than my other electrician."
Me, "Well then, use him."
GC, "I can't; he's out of business."
Me, "Maybe that's why he's out of business. Besides, your original information isn't correct anymore. The ME changed the specs, so your [own] bid needs to be modified. My original bid states that it based off of the prints dated XXXX, and the new one off of the city approved drawings dated XXXX. You can go back to the customer with the same reasoning."
GC, "I'm already over budget."
Me, "Okay, thanks for the opportunity."

[10 days later, or so...]

GC, "When can we schedule the work?"

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I used to add "based on prints dated XXXX or revisions #XXXXX, received XXXX date."

Im glad you brought that up; I do this also on every proposal. The opening is basically, “this proposal is based on drawings and specs provided, specifically sheets E1, E2 etc.... dated XXXX, with revision date of XXXX, by architect A and engineer B”....

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Im glad you brought that up; I do this also on every proposal. The opening is basically, “this proposal is based on drawings and specs provided, specifically sheets E1, E2 etc.... dated XXXX, with revision date of XXXX, by architect A and engineer B”....

i'm on a reno with both an archy and engineer .....nothing more than an old farm house any compitent GC should be able to handle.....but NooOOOoo....:p

And so, they've taken what could have been an $$$ job into an $$$$$ job. Case in point, the archy is going to drive all the way from NJ to VT for a site visit next week to shed light on the great unwashed .....:cool:

Maybe i shouldn't complain, i'll be getting my % of whatever machiantions are imparted , but boy can they polish a turd!:lol:

~RJ~

sw_ross

i'm on a reno with both an archy and engineer .....nothing more than an old farm house any compitent GC should be able to handle.....but NooOOOoo....:p

On the other hand, I'm in a project that has no (concrete) plans or drawings, no architect, etc. it doesn't even have an official GC! It's being "Overseen" by a manager type person of the business that owns the structure.

It's a re-fit of a building that used to be a small 10-room accommodation structure (kinda like dorm rooms), built in the 50's, that is being converted into a daycare.

When they approached me about the project and I looked things over I basically told them that without a set of plans to rely on for bidding purposes all I could offer them is a T&M type of approach to the project.

I've worked for this group on several projects and they're good about paying so I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. They accepted my offer. I'm sure there will be issues that have to be figured out during the different phases. The project probably won't be as efficient as one that has plans, specs, and a definitive scope of work. I'm okay with that since I know this company and how they operate.

I probably wouldn't enter into a project like this if I didn't know and have a good relationship with the company.

eds

I passed on the job, a rather large residential project, in the end just to many incomplete details to try and wade thru in a short amount of time. Would you reach out to the GC, if for nothing else curiosity of accepted electrical price?

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
On the other hand, I'm in a project that has no (concrete) plans or drawings, no architect, etc. it doesn't even have an official GC! It's being "Overseen" by a manager type person of the business that owns the structure.

It's a re-fit of a building that used to be a small 10-room accommodation structure (kinda like dorm rooms), built in the 50's, that is being converted into a daycare.

When they approached me about the project and I looked things over I basically told them that without a set of plans to rely on for bidding purposes all I could offer them is a T&M type of approach to the project.

I get this just as much as anyone else here.

So in the case of plans lacking, i'll create one for them

The only prob i'll have is, some GC's (or should i say pseudo GC's) will pass it our for rop's:rant:

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.