LED 6W bulb modification

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
If I am installing a LED bulb in a fixture that only has downward or outward lighting direction I always bandsaw off the plastic bulb and put a dab of RTV over the exposed terminals if any..

I get a lot more light from the same lamp. :)

Is there anything in NEC that prohibits this? o_O

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You mean the solder points? You're suggesting that insulating them makes the light brighter?

Is it April 1st?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, so the actual mod is leaving the globe off, not covering the terminals. Completely missed that.

1729215839624.jpeg

Having said that, it's your bulb and fingers. I'd be hesitant about doing it for customers.

After having said all of that, most of the LED bulbs I've "broken" open just pop off.

J2H

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer/Licensed Electrician
From a safety perspective, I would expect there to be fairly low voltage dc on those terminals, which the markings seem to indicate. I may have to break a bulb open and measure with a meter.

retirede

From a safety perspective, I would expect there to be fairly low voltage dc on those terminals, which the markings seem to indicate. I may have to break a bulb open and measure with a meter.

Hard to say for sure, but I’d bet those solder joints are where the 120VAC connects to the circuit board. It would add unnecessary cost to have the driver connected to the LEDs by wires when they can easily be on the same circuit board.