LED Dimmer on an dishwasher circuit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I was told by another electrician that having an Dimmable LED bulb on a Dimmer switch on the same phase as an dishwasher circuit somehow caused the LED bulb to dim down, and that by putting the dishwasher on another phase leg eliminated the problem... ??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't understand it but I believe anything when it comes to electronics. I have seen my share of oddities.

powerplay

I've been told a great many things like that, but don't regard them (especially when they doesn't mention whether the dishwasher is running, or even connected).

..one is best not assuming, but the electrician had been called to troublehoot the problem in an occupied home with functioning appliances. I called Lutron's technical support who needed more information, but thought the voltage drop from an dishwasher may have caused the lights to dim, but should have came back to original brightness.

kwired

Electron manager
..one is best not assuming, but the electrician had been called to troublehoot the problem in an occupied home with functioning appliances. I called Lutron's technical support who needed more information, but thought the voltage drop from an dishwasher may have caused the lights to dim, but should have came back to original brightness.

That would reason to be expected to happen even if no dimmer switch is involved, and could even happen in the case of an undersized
service, feeder, transformer, etc. even though the DW or any heavy load is on a separate branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.