LED Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is there a Code requirement for disconnecting LED drivers similar to the requirement for fluorescent in 410.130(G) ?

D

Dell3c

Augie for it's worth, I've also been searching and in agreement w/ Dennis.. not required..

jap

Occupation
Electrician
And why is that?

Is changing out an LED driver any less dangerous than changing out a fluorescent ballast?

I thought the whole point of that rule was to help keep from having to work a repair hot.

Not that it really matters since I don't trust the disconnects that come with the fixtures anyway.

Every time I disconnect one of those yellow disconnects I feel like the wire is going to pull out and end up in my fingertips. :)

JAP>

D

Dell3c

And why is that?

Is changing out an LED driver any less dangerous than changing out a fluorescent ballast?

I thought the whole point of that rule was to help keep from having to work a repair hot.

Not that it really matters since I don't trust the disconnects that come with the fixtures anyway.

Every time I disconnect one of those yellow disconnects I feel like the wire is going to pull out and end up in my fingertips. :)

JAP>

If you locate the requirement, please share the location in NFPA 70. I'd certainly appreciate it..

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And why is that?

JAP>
Probably because no one submitted a proposed change to make the disconnect rule apply to LED drivers. The rule is very limited in scope at this time and only applies where the lamps are double ended.

Note, I see there was a PI submitted for the 2023 code that would make this section apply to LED drivers. We will be able to see if it was accepted when the First Revision Report is published on July 2nd.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'd say people are much less likely to change a driver in a LED fixture, than a ballast in a fluorescent.

They are more likely to just replace the entire fixture since they are often so cheap, and the LED's themselves have a limited life.

And the LED drivers usually operate at a much lower temp. than ballasts did.

So I think LED drivers are both less likely to fail, and less likely to be replaced if they do fail.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Here's what it's like on the commercial side of things.

Contractor to Distributor: Hey my LED fixture installed for my customer is not working and its still under the 5 year warranty.
Distributor to Manufacturer: Hey my contractor has an LED fixture not working.
Manufacturer to Distributor: What all troubleshooting have they done so far? Did they check the output on the driver?
Distributor to Contractor: What all troubleshooting have you done so far? DId you check the output on the driver?
Contractor to Distributor: No.The fixture's under warranty send me a new one.
Distributor to Manufacturer: They've done no troubleshooting. They want a replacement fixture.
Manufacturer to Distributor: We can get one but its 6-8 weeks out at best.
Distributor to Contractor: A replacement fixture is 6-8 weeks out, do you want to try a replacement driver.
Contractor to Distributor: Yes, my customer wants his fixture working get me a driver coming I'll try that.

Changing out the driver is generally the first go to fix for most LED fixtures that have failed.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'd say people are much less likely to change a driver in a LED fixture, than a ballast in a fluorescent.

They are more likely to just replace the entire fixture since they are often so cheap, and the LED's themselves have a limited life.

And the LED drivers usually operate at a much lower temp. than ballasts did.

So I think LED drivers are both less likely to fail, and less likely to be replaced if they do fail.

We replaced many a driver but mostly the small ones that fit inside a fixture canopy. Those drivers cost $10, or they used to, so why replace a $200 fixture and in some cases you can't even get a replacement.

I find the old mr16 sockets are a big problem with the halogens but the drivers are the most common issue with the led.

Reactions: jap
Status
Not open for further replies.