led general lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
A local c-store removed flourescent strips and replaced with LED, looks like it may be what is being described as tape. This is general illumination, not accent or undercabinet. Clerk did not have any information about vendor.

So I had a horse barn job and wanted something similiar, all my local suppliers could come up with were 8' tandem t-8's with led tubes. (which I do not like)

Now I have 48' shipping container for mechanic/welder and do not want retrofitted flourescents.

Where and what should I buy?

cpinetree

A local c-store removed flourescent strips and replaced with LED, looks like it may be what is being described as tape. This is general illumination, not accent or undercabinet. Clerk did not have any information about vendor.

So I had a horse barn job and wanted something similiar, all my local suppliers could come up with were 8' tandem t-8's with led tubes. (which I do not like)

Now I have 48' shipping container for mechanic/welder and do not want retrofitted flourescents.

Buy what you like, where they sell it :lol:

I'm sure you have a picture of them, would you post it so we can see what you are speaking of?

Home Depot sells some wrap around / Puff lights that look they are nothing more than tape light inside the lens.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Thanks for suggestion, I went and took picture but hard to see because is night and they bright, will try to get back over there tomorrow

And I had remembered wrong, these are 8' units (was last spring when I saw them)

3 local sh did not have any nor knew how to get and tried to sell me retrofit tubes, which is what we wound up doing, in new, ballasted fixtures

But meanwhile some electrician knows whats going in c-stores similiar to this and where to get?

Attachments

• led strip 1.jpg
    led strip 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0

JFletcher

Thanks for suggestion, I went and took picture but hard to see because is night and they bright, will try to get back over there tomorrow

And I had remembered wrong, these are 8' units (was last spring when I saw them)

3 local sh did not have any nor knew how to get and tried to sell me retrofit tubes, which is what we wound up doing, in new, ballasted fixtures

But meanwhile some electrician knows whats going in c-stores similiar to this and where to get?

The local 7-11 has these 8' LED fixtures outside all over the place. They are not 8' replacement bulbs for fluorescent lights. I can try to get a mfg and/or model number for you.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The local 7-11 has these 8' LED fixtures outside all over the place. They are not 8' replacement bulbs for fluorescent lights. I can try to get a mfg and/or model number for you.

I saw a church with a bunch of these, and they had no info on them. 120 volt with about a 20 ga. jumper between each fixture. The quality looked like crap, but they did a great job at lighting up the basement.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Got pictures today but not good ones

Google "led strips" showing me retrofits, same as supply house

Attachments

• led strip 2.jpg
    led strip 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • led strip 3.jpg
    led strip 3.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A homedepot.com search for "8' led strip" gives a couple options, from Lithonia or Envirolite.

Lithonia.com shows several options, such as their ZL line.

I have no experience with any of the above, just Google.

Cheers, Wayne

iwire

Staff member

Get a better supplier.

All the big name lighting companies have LED fixtures, I have been installing them for at least three years now.

I suggest going to cooper lighting catalog or other large maker and picking out what you want.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Get a better supplier.

All the big name lighting companies have LED fixtures, I have been installing them for at least three years now.

I suggest going to cooper lighting catalog or other large maker and picking out what you want.

Thanks, I guess I need to face the fact that these cannot be bought locally

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I was bidding a vanilla box finish that was to be a liquor store, and the owner wanted these.

None of my suppliers could locate them although they're aware of the fixture I was asking for. I went to a few local convenience stores that had them, and all told me the same thing, that they went to a lighting supplier in Atlanta and bought them.

I would only quote installing and them furnishing for warranty purposes.

I have been buying LED strip lights from Hubbell that look like standard fluorescent strips but it's an integrated LED strip across the cover. Paying $200 for a standard open 8' strip, $250 for the lensed version.

The owners of the stores I talked to with what you have pictured are paying less than half the cost of the Hubbell fixtures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFletcher

I checked, and could not find any mfg name or marks on them, just the weathered UL and some warning stickers. They are not what readydave pictured, but come in a brown aluminum housing (they look a bit like an inverted gutter). The one on the end of the building was an odd size (5-6' long) and didnt appear field cut. There is no diffuser/cover over the bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.