LED Kitchen Lighting & Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

I will be installing 6" LED recessed lights in a kitchen, and was wondering what color temp would be the best choice. I can't seem to find much information regarding this topic.

I read one article that suggested 4000k in kitchens to make food colors look better. Then later read something else that suggested 3000k to 3500k for a kitchen.

Just looking for some opinions,advice, or experience with which temp would be best suited for a kitchen.

Thank you.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Warmer has always been the choice for making food and colors look better. I would bring up the illumination with the LED and supplument with some Incandescent. Be careful in CA you only add Incan, to the max of the 50/50 efficacy rule.

sgunsel

I think it best to match the color with other lighting in the area. Regardless of which might look better, a mix will look worse!

TNBaer

I think it best to match the color with other lighting in the area. Regardless of which might look better, a mix will look worse!

Absolutely true. One thing you should know with many LEDs with that the higher the Kelvin the lower the CRI (in most cases). 27k - 30k should be what you use. 50K is just ugly.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Absolutely true. One thing you should know with many LEDs with that the higher the Kelvin the lower the CRI (in most cases). 27k - 30k should be what you use. 50K is just ugly.

Yup i agree. use 2.7K to 3K temperature.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

On the other hand, the higher the color temp the better the efficiency. But 5500 deg K is too white for most.

Electric-Light

On the other hand, the higher the color temp the better the efficiency. But 5500 deg K is too white for most.

The CREE CR6 which is also sold repackaged as EcoSmart something at the Home Depot works well for the $30/ea or so, that is only available in 2700K. LR6 is available in 3500K and 2700k. The CR6 is rated 62lm/W out of the box before taking into account degradation over lifetime.

The problem with a lot of other LED products is that they have questionable long term durability and performance decay.

J

janagyjr

The problem with a lot of other LED products is that they have questionable long term durability and performance decay.

I'm subscribed to several publications (Strategies in Lighting, amongst others) and have some experience in using LEDs over the long term and I find your statement to be out of sorts with what I know, would you be willing to provide some links to back up the claim?

All the experience I have with LEDs plus all I've read about LED lighting in particular says degredation shouldn't be a factor forat least 10-15 years. With no filament to break, the only other durability issue would be the soldered connections or complete destruction of the diode.

Electric-Light

I'm subscribed to several publications (Strategies in Lighting, amongst others) and have some experience in using LEDs over the long term and I find your statement to be out of sorts with what I know, would you be willing to provide some links to back up the claim?
Don't have time for that, but if you search for my posts, you'll find various links.

All the experience I have with LEDs plus all I've read about LED lighting in particular says degredation shouldn't be a factor forat least 10-15 years. With no filament to break, the only other durability issue would be the soldered connections or complete destruction of the diode.

Start looking up IESNA LM79 and LM80. CREE also has a pretty good report on degradation mechanism. The degradation is due to encapsulating plastic lens, chip itself and phosphor degrading. Encapsulation decay is accelerated by ambient temperature. The latter two by chip temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.