LED Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I’m sure many of you have seen this. Find a good LED lamp for specific lights, then it is discontinued. We just had this happen again at the plant. If you keep up a building, buy as much ahead as you’re allowed to do. I’ve seen this several times before. This goes double for 277. I thought I found a suitable lamp this week & it was only rated 120.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Depending on the size of the place and how many lamps we're talking, need to weigh options for extra stock versus planning for total replacement.

I would imagine by the time you have 10% failure it's time to start looking at 100% replacement. So maybe only figure an extra 10-12% on hand

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Depending on the size of the place and how many lamps we're talking, need to weigh options for extra stock versus planning for total replacement.

I would imagine by the time you have 10% failure it's time to start looking at 100% replacement. So maybe only figure an extra 10-12% on hand

Total replacement ain’t gonna happen in some places nor should it. We have some exceptionally good bollard lights for example. Very sturdy tubes & sturdy shades, better than most I’ve seen out & around. New bollards would only be practical if we could get similar size tubes & adapt them to our mounting bases.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Typical, if it works too well, they need to make it "New and Improved" so that they can sell more, especially if it works for too long. Called Planned Obsolescence. They build it to break down after a specific period of time. Also applies to parts, don't repair, toss in trash and get the "New and Improved".

Status
Not open for further replies.