Led R lamps flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptop

I was called on a complaint of flickering recessed lights. When I arrive I am told that a previous electrician has replaced all six cans with new. I find that the new work cans have been replaced with cans from the same maker. I find that the work has been done carefully and the modular connectors have been replaced with wirenuts. I am also told the bulbs have been replaced. I visit a 4 gang switch to find 2, 3-way and 2 single pole switches all powered from the end of a branch circuit. No feed thru. I remake the hot and neutral bundles, check voltage and am told that the single pole switch has just been replaced. The other fixtures powered from this box dont flicker. I am told if the switch is eliminated the flicker is unimproved.

I can see the customer is frustrated so I tell him the same thing I told him on the phone "its usually the bulbs" but he insists that I change the breaker on the branch circuit and I do. I'm a 35 year man and I'm thinking there is nothing left to check except every wirenut connection and the romex between the cans. Understand there is no voltage fluctuation anywhere and I think changing the builders cans (in a newish house) was unlikely to fix the problem unless the lampholders were heated/burned. I reccommend expensive Cree recessed inserts. I also tell him to try A-19 bulbs and see if they flicker just to eliminate all electronics from the circuit which has no dimmer and is running at a level 123 volts.

Today the customer called and asked me to put his old breaker back which I will do. My impression is that the previous electrician while foolish did replace the cans carefully and paid attention to every connection. My experience tells me bulbs or loose neutral at the switchbox or a modular connector. I stopped using R -lamps for recessed years ago. I think its the bulbs but would appreciate hearing what all of you think. Thanks.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would try just one incandescent bulb in one of the cans. That usually stops the flicker and shows that it is the LED bulbs. If it does stop, try a different brand (name brand) LED.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
LED bulb quality is all over the place. What bulbs are in there now? That said, a house I did some work at, in the family room the LED bulbs had random times with a lot of flicker. Replaced with Philips LED bulbs, the same thing. Originally there to add a TV mount and in the process pulled the cover off the outlet where the TV was going to go. Must have been run by some handyman. All backstabs, very sloppy as I recall with some minor violations like a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit. I just can't help myself when I see that stuff and I had to tidy up all the sloppiness...the flickering went away.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Why do you have to put the old breaker back????. For future reference, if your clients starts telling you what to do look him in the face and ask him why your here if he knows the issue. Those ones that follow you and tell you what to do are annoying and usually very rude.
Put and incadecent in. If the incandescent flickers and gets brighter than you got a neutral problem. Its the bulb like you Said most of the time.
Usually there terrible Costco Feitbulb. Any Feit product sucks lol

tiptop

Why do you have to put the old breaker back????. For future reference, if your clients starts telling you what to do look him in the face and ask him why your here if he knows the issue. Those ones that follow you and tell you what to do are annoying and usually very rude.
Put and incadecent in. If the incandescent flickers and gets brighter than you got a neutral problem. Its the bulb like you Said most of the time.
Usually there terrible Costco Feitbulb. Any Feit product sucks lol
The gentleman is a EE and I wanted to please him. I used an afci/gfi breaker with a pigtail on his clip on neutral panel. He would like his clip on afci breaker put back. He doesnt like the pigtail. I agreed because almost any fault will trip a CH afci/gfi and we would have an error code. Yes it could be a connection or bad conductor but its not. Its the bulbs😀

tiptop

LED bulb quality is all over the place. What bulbs are in there now? That said, a house I did some work at, in the family room the LED bulbs had random times with a lot of flicker. Replaced with Philips LED bulbs, the same thing. Originally there to add a TV mount and in the process pulled the cover off the outlet where the TV was going to go. Must have been run by some handyman. All backstabs, very sloppy as I recall with some minor violations like a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit. I just can't help myself when I see that stuff and I had to tidy up all the sloppiness...the flickering went away.
Thanks for sharing. I fix A LOT of amature work. They are creative in their mistakes. Wirings no hobby lol.

tiptop

I would try just one incandescent bulb in one of the cans. That usually stops the flicker and shows that it is the LED bulbs. If it does stop, try a different brand (name brand) LED.
I can tell you have had this call before Bill. We are going to try some. Ill post the results

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The gentleman is a EE and I wanted to please him. I used an afci/gfi breaker with a pigtail on his clip on neutral panel. He would like his clip on afci breaker put back. He doesnt like the pigtail. I agreed because almost any fault will trip a CH afci/gfi and we would have an error code. Yes it could be a connection or bad conductor but its not. Its the bulbs😀
It’s not like those clip on are perfect I bet there no better than a torqued connection.
led are Crap have had water cooler, dehumidifier fridges cause them to flicker. Find that circuit and see what’s plugged in.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't like Feit either as a general rule -- except these G9 base have worked out well for many specialty fixtures: Feit Electric BP35G9/830/LED 35 watt-equivalent

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I've got several different brand LED. Feit included. Feits work until EOL, which is usually short. If one starts flickering buy a box of replacements because the rest in that fixture will fail soon enough. Other than EOL, I notice no flickering in any of my lighting. I'm all electric and would say I have typical load. The only incandescent loads are porch fixtures on a dimmer. No dimming other than porch.

The biggest difference is I am the only customer on my POCO transformer with no other residence within a mile. (See, a simple fix.)

IDR any customer issues of light flickering that weren't found easily enough over the years. What is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.