LED Recessed Lighting Issue//Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsherrod

I have a client that has one of her living room recessed lights periodically cut off and then back on. There are 8 lights in the living room (ALL LED) and are controlled by Lutron Maestro companion dimmer switches. The light that cuts on and off is closet to the switch and all the other lights are fed from it, as far as I can tell. I have tried changing that particular recessed housing unit to no avail. I then suspect it might be the dimmer switches are overheating or failing to carry the load but the customer told me it happened before those were installed (acknowledging she could be misremembering). Their house has had several lighting issues over the last few months, but I have not been able to find any signs of a loose neutral. Anyone have any ideas of what would cause the one light to cut off and back on without affecting any of the others coming off it?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Would they happen to be Lowes utilitec brand?.
Ive had issues with them also lately, some just go to 1/2 brightness for a second then pop back to full brightness. Seems to be a few minutes after turning on then goes away.

tsherrod

Are these LED fixtures, or regular housings with LED lamps installed? What type of LEDs are they?

They are regular housings with LED lamps installed. I'm not certain what type of LEDs they are. Do you think they Maestro dimmer might have issues with the particular type of LEDs?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
They are regular housings with LED lamps installed. I'm not certain what type of LEDs they are. Do you think they Maestro dimmer might have issues with the particular type of LEDs?

certain LED retrofit units have hairballs with select dimmers.
i'd try switching the dimmer and see if that improves things.

what i've found that will generally dim most anything, is a
lutron diva c-l. the part number i use is DVCL-153P. $20~$25.

i'm using commercial grade LED's that i get from these folks.

http://www.drd2led.com/

same lighting element bayonet locks into architectural grade trims.
so you can have 3", 4", 5", 6", and 8" trims, all with the exact same
driver. i've had about 40 of them in my house for about 2 years now,
and all is well.

driver is about $75, trims vary somewhat, and they will retrofit
nicely into anything of any size.

tsherrod

certain LED retrofit units have hairballs with select dimmers.
i'd try switching the dimmer and see if that improves things.

what i've found that will generally dim most anything, is a
lutron diva c-l. the part number i use is DVCL-153P. $20~$25.

i'm using commercial grade LED's that i get from these folks.

http://www.drd2led.com/

same lighting element bayonet locks into architectural grade trims.
so you can have 3", 4", 5", 6", and 8" trims, all with the exact same
driver. i've had about 40 of them in my house for about 2 years now,
and all is well.

driver is about $75, trims vary somewhat, and they will retrofit
nicely into anything of any size.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info and links!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a client that has one of her living room recessed lights periodically cut off and then back on. There are 8 lights in the living room (ALL LED) and are controlled by Lutron Maestro companion dimmer switches. The light that cuts on and off is closet to the switch and all the other lights are fed from it, as far as I can tell. I have tried changing that particular recessed housing unit to no avail. I then suspect it might be the dimmer switches are overheating or failing to carry the load but the customer told me it happened before those were installed (acknowledging she could be misremembering). Their house has had several lighting issues over the last few months, but I have not been able to find any signs of a loose neutral. Anyone have any ideas of what would cause the one light to cut off and back on without affecting any of the others coming off it?

Lutron suggests, and sometimes supplies, a load capacitor to be used with fluorescent, CFL, & LED lights. Since LED sometimes aren't enough to meet the minimum load the capacitor takes care of that. Symptoms are flickering, won't dim properly, won't turn off, etc.
Their number is LUT-MLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.