LED Recessed lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

conmgt

I need to install recessed lighting in an apartment and the lighting needs to be dimmable.
I don't want to make any mistakes here. I'm picturing that problems like humming, noise on the TV screen, proprietary LEDS, proprietary dimmers, etc.

What is the best way to provide recessed dimmable LEDs for a customer?
Should the cans have regular 120V sockets and the homeowner can screw in LEDs or should the can itself be an LED can?
Do dimmers need to match the brand of LED?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
For good results they need to "match" as in work compatibly. That is not the same as being on each other's compatibility lists. That does not always insure good operation.Testing before installing is best.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Getting a little away from the question, if these units have units above then you probably should check with the AHJ before installing can lights in the ceiling of an apartment as most apartments are 1 hour rated between units.

hbendillo

If you purchase a high quality LED bulb from a well known manufacturer, like Cree for example, they have lists of what dimmers are compatible with their bulbs.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I personally like to stay with regular socket recess cans so if things should change in the future odds are that it will screw into Edison base. Using a LED can, your stuck.
Regular cans give plenty of options; LED bulb, LED Trim, regular bulbs, cfl's.

Status
Not open for further replies.