LED replacement bulb fires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joes Electrical

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I have been told not to replace fluorescent bulbs with LED replacement bulbs do to the fire hazard. Has anyone experienced an electrical fire due to the replacement of florescent bulbs with LED ones. Could this be due to miss wiring? Some leave the ballast and some bypass the ballast, what is the best practice? I feel that replacement of the fixture is best. Your thoughts?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
the most efficient is to get a new LED luminaire with a LED driver. Leaving the ballast in is additional loss. the danger of bypassing the ballast is in someone - janitor - replacing an LED lamp with florescent.
In WA we are required to label the luminare with that the ballast has been by passed

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
20210308_184840.jpg

Had to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the staff of one radio station client. Previous GM bought a case of Sylvania bypass tubes and converted several fixtures, using the provided warning stickers and telling the staff not to put regular T8 tubes into the bypassed fixtures. New GM comes on board and shoves an LED tube in an unconverted fixture. No one reported to me the smell of burning plastic...I found this on my own a few days later during a regular site visit. I could smell it the moment I walked into the building. The staff now knows to look for the stickers and which bulbs to put where.

No problems with bypassed fixtures or LED tubes. They are working well. The fixtures are fancy, so replacing then with new LED troffers would be hard. At another site with plain-Jane troffers, we're installing new LED troffers.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
^^^^That right there. It's not a question of if someone puts the wrong lamp in a fixture, just when.
They don't have maintenance men. It's the GM or me. GM is worried of an issue, so he consults me before proceeding.

I'd prefer getting rid of the tombstones.

On a theoretical note, what would happen if 120VAC were applied to a T8 FL bulb? Our bypass bulbs have one end L, other end N. Will 120V be enough to strike the arc on a 4-foot tube? I expect if it does strike, bad things will happen because of the lack of the ballast to limit the current.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
They don't have maintenance men. It's the GM or me. GM is worried of an issue, so he consults me before proceeding.

I'd prefer getting rid of the tombstones.

On a theoretical note, what would happen if 120VAC were applied to a T8 FL bulb? Our bypass bulbs have one end L, other end N. Will 120V be enough to strike the arc on a 4-foot tube? I expect if it does strike, bad things will happen because of the lack of the ballast to limit the current.
Absolutely nothing. Even if you use an igniter to initiate an arc, 120v is below the steady state operating voltage of the lamp.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
It's a design issue consisting of lack of uniform standards and physical lockout to prevent interchange between incompatible components. I'd like to think that they learned a thing or two from how common it was for history of people putting T12 lamps in T8 luminaires.

pin based CFLs of different wattage had the same socket with lockout keys to lockout wrong wattage lamps and it had a further lockout option with neck clearance so the oversized hexagonal base on the PL-T can not go into PL-C socket.

Clayton79

Occupation
Owner/operator
1a00e38c9be1c7c18fb24e98a8f44c19.jpg

4pin can light LED
Multi volt, supposed to have been compatible with ballast and bypassed,

Found best solution was bypassed on
277v. System

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.