Led retrofit recessed lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

So I see a lot of people installing these can light led retrofit kits. From what I am seeing these costs about 30 bucks for the kit. I can buy a led bulb and a standard trim for 2O bucks. What is the advantage of these things. I gotta be missing something. It seems to me that it would be a major disadvantage to have to change out your entire trim because a bulb went bad. And what's the chance they offer the same style 10 yrs down the road?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I get Juno IC22 cans for anout $6.50 at a supply house, and Home Depot sells a 4-pack of Feit l.e.d. trims for $60.00 ( $15 each) so that's $21.00 plus tax retail

I get retrofit trims online for $12 or less, and a standard baffle trim for $3.00 online and an l.e.d. bulb is about $8.00

So cost is a wash.

The differences for me:

Beam angle. A retrofit trim usually has 90-120 degree beam angle, so they are much more forgiving on placement.

Wattage range. You can get retrofit mates in different wattages, so they look the same. I'll usually use higher wattages in kirchens and finished basements

And bulbs keep changing too. If you gat a bad screw-in, there's no guarantee you'll find an exact match

fireryan

The problem with ordering stuff online is where do you go when something goes bad in 2 months? That's why I prefer to buy local so if such problems do arise the supply house has it covered. Never used the feit line. Always thought I looked kind of cheap. What's your thoughts on it if you don't mind me Asking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The thing about Feit is that they throw their brand on a lot of stuff. Kind of like Craftsman name on Dewalt, Black & Decker, Porter Cable tools.

Some look cheap, some look nice. I used some supposedly 23 watt Feit baffles, and they were the same exact trim as ones offered by Luminus, Bioluz, Sunco, and a few others. Almost all the others listed them at 19 watts. There was no difference in color or brightness. I bought some of each brand to compare them.

Another type of Feit was purchased by a customer, he got them at Costco for about $14 each. They said 22.5 watts, and looked really close to one offered by Philips. They were nice and bright. He took my suggestion and bought extras.

I've used the ones offered by Sylvania, they were $20 each at a local store. Great lights. Utilitech from Lowes is made by Cooper, a very trusted brand, great lights. I'm not sure who makes the Commercial Electric, but they work really well, and they have different wattages which match. TCP is a great brand too for about $25 each

As far as buying online....

A supply house/store sells with a markup that includes honoring returns on defective items. Take one that costs $15 + tax, it's about $17.00 total.

If I buy it for $12.00 with no tax or shipping, I've got margin. Now, instead of driving out to diagnose, then taking one to a store to return it, then go back and put it in, how much time did it take?

Or I could go to my basement and get one or two of that kind, take them with me, and I'm done in 15 minutes.

I'm already on the hook to make the diagnostic trip, and it's fully expected that I warranty what I supply, I may as well buy cheap and get paid to warranty it.

I use enough of them that I have them on hand. I typically keep 100-200 of them, various wattages and styles.

But I can say honestly, that out of the past 3 years, I have had one defective right out of the box, and have warranted zero.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So I see a lot of people installing these can light led retrofit kits. From what I am seeing these costs about 30 bucks for the kit. I can buy a led bulb and a standard trim for 2O bucks. What is the advantage of these things. I gotta be missing something.
I'm guessing here, but maybe heat dissipation? Is the led bulb designed for proper heat dissipation when used upside down and enclosed? The led trim kit is clearly designed for the application.

Cheers, Wayne

Just did a retrofit with 12 x BR30 LED bulbs. Repainted the old trim rings. $6 per bulb. The retrofit kits may be a better design? Either way, I'd buy a few extra spares. The LED market seems to be evolving quickly and I've seen them fail prematurely.

JFletcher

The LED retrofit trims for 5/6" cans are what we use almost exclusively. It takes more time to unwrap them and throw away the packaging than it does to install them. Sure, they retail for about $30 from a bb store, but are ~$22 at the supply house. As far as having to replace them x years (or decades) down the road and new lights not matching, I hadnt really thought about it (actually, Ive thought that most of customers would reach their EOL before the bulbs do). Biggest advantage to me I suppose is only needing one part to complete the job (a retro trim) vs 2 (rings and bulbs).

Pizza

So I see a lot of people installing these can light led retrofit kits. From what I am seeing these costs about 30 bucks for the kit. I can buy a led bulb and a standard trim for 2O bucks. What is the advantage of these things. I gotta be missing something. It seems to me that it would be a major disadvantage to have to change out your entire trim because a bulb went bad. And what's the chance they offer the same style 10 yrs down the road?

Just think of all the LED wall packs too

iwire

Staff member
I agree with Pizza, in the past few years I have installed 100s of LED fixtures and I really doubt replacement parts will be available when needed.

It is going to be a cluster #&%@ for until LEDs become mature with replacement parts available from multiple sources.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with Pizza, in the past few years I have installed 100s of LED fixtures and I really doubt replacement parts will be available when needed.

It is going to be a cluster #&%@ for until LEDs become mature with replacement parts available from multiple sources.
The plus is that the price keeps falling.

I installed some 50watt fixtures on existing parking lot poles about 2 years ago, they cost me $250 each. But I just bought some yesterday for $30

It'll be easier to swap them

iwire

Staff member
The plus is that the price keeps falling.

I installed some 50watt fixtures on existing parking lot poles about 2 years ago, they cost me $250 each. But I just bought some yesterday for $30

LMAO, yes I am sure those $30 fixtures are awesome. :lol:

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
People's Republik of Kalifornia requires "plug in" type LED can lights in bedrooms now. Wanted to bring an added bedroom up to Code. I have 10 incandescent cans that I put the curli-Q CFL's in just because they were free from work. Not good enough for Cal. Can't use screw-in adapter to convert to LED, either. Title 24 compliant fixtures are about $80 each. Grrrr..and they wonder why nobody applies for permits!

Pizza

People's Republik of Kalifornia requires "plug in" type LED can lights in bedrooms now. Wanted to bring an added bedroom up to Code. I have 10 incandescent cans that I put the curli-Q CFL's in just because they were free from work. Not good enough for Cal. Can't use screw-in adapter to convert to LED, either. Title 24 compliant fixtures are about $80 each. Grrrr..and they wonder why nobody applies for permits!

How does that work?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You don't have to spend anywhere near $80.00

Here's a 6-pack of 6" cans:
http://smile.amazon.com/VOID-LED-Li...qid=1452430538&sr=8-13&keywords=Void+recessed

Here's a 6" trim, same brand:
http://smile.amazon.com/VOID-LED-Li...&qid=1452430538&sr=8-9&keywords=Void+recessed

$21.00 for housing and trim, title 24 compliant

peter d

Either that, or the industry decides to standardize LED products like HID, fluorescent, etc.

Pizza

I just recently hung an LED fixture that specifically said.... No replacement parts, replace fixture. On the cover

Status
Not open for further replies.