LED ribbon and granite counter top reflection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I recently temped(?) in some LED ribbon/tape for under cabinet illumination. I had the foresight to order a frosted diffuser (And associated mounting channel) in order to combat the issue of having the individual LED's reflect upon a shiny granite counter top. I mounted the ribbon to shoot straight down, however, even with the diffuser, the LED's show up easily, in addition, the diffuser really cuts down the output of the ribbon. I sent an email to the ribbon supplier but his only advice was to try different angles. I can get another channel that would allow the ribbon to sit at a 45 degree angle, but I'm not sure that would help at all considering the yet-to-be installed backsplash is supposed to be shiny like the counter top is. Anyone deal with this problem before? I wanted to install either fluorescent or LED strips but the LED strips in the lengths I need are quite expensive, like over $1k for five fixtures, and the customer does not want fluorescent.

Electric-Light

I recently temped(?) in some LED ribbon/tape for under cabinet illumination. I had the foresight to order a frosted diffuser (And associated mounting channel) in order to combat the issue of having the individual LED's reflect upon a shiny granite counter top. I mounted the ribbon to shoot straight down, however, even with the diffuser, the LED's show up easily, in addition, the diffuser really cuts down the output of the ribbon. I sent an email to the ribbon supplier but his only advice was to try different angles. I can get another channel that would allow the ribbon to sit at a 45 degree angle, but I'm not sure that would help at all considering the yet-to-be installed backsplash is supposed to be shiny like the counter top is. Anyone deal with this problem before? I wanted to install either fluorescent or LED strips but the LED strips in the lengths I need are quite expensive, like over $1k for five fixtures, and the customer does not want fluorescent.

The common LED strips, which are made of dots of solid state fluorescent lamps are naturally glare bombs as you've seen and they require diffuser to make it smooth like gas discharge fluorescent lamps.

Jason Cook

if possible turn the LEDs over so that they are indirect, aim them toward the wall or the underside of the cabinet, let the light reflect off of a diffuse surface so that the image of the LED doesn't have direct access to the the countertop surface. aim them so that the counter top cannot see the LED directly. may require some creative mounting!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I really don't see this as an issue the electrician must deal with. If they want granite tops then they will get reflections. Usually people complain about the recessed cans reflections and if they use halogen bulbs then they will get a really bright spot. Led's are not as bad but they will reflect

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
if possible turn the LEDs over so that they are indirect, aim them toward the wall or the underside of the cabinet, let the light reflect off of a diffuse surface so that the image of the LED doesn't have direct access to the the countertop surface. aim them so that the counter top cannot see the LED directly. may require some creative mounting!

This may be true but you will lose a lot of lumens on the surface where you want it

Status
Not open for further replies.