LED sports lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

We are designing a sports field lighting project in which the sports lighting vendor is indicating the LED lamps on 1 post for example has a full load current of say 36.5A (480V 3-phase). They note to base the overcurrent device using this full load. Now you apply 1.25 for continuous load and get 45.6A which would be a 50A breaker. Typically I believe you would apply NEC 210.23(C) for this. However, how would this be applicable for LED lighting as they are not typically lampholders?

mjmike

Speaking to the vendor, all fixtures are individually fused so I am thinking that is the overcurrent protection and the breaker wouldn't fall under the requirements to be 20A max rated?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The Astros changed the lighting to LED in Minute Maid Park last season and I really don't care for it. It's harsh and a bit too bright for my taste.

mjmike

The Astros changed the lighting to LED in Minute Maid Park last season and I really don't care for it. It's harsh and a bit too bright for my taste.

Interesting to know onnthe Astros. All past projects have been MH. These couple will be the first at LED. One is a retro where 6 MH will be replaced with 3 LED cutting electrical demand in half.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We are designing a sports field lighting project in which the sports lighting vendor is indicating the LED lamps on 1 post for example has a full load current of say 36.5A (480V 3-phase). They note to base the overcurrent device using this full load. Now you apply 1.25 for continuous load and get 45.6A which would be a 50A breaker. Typically I believe you would apply NEC 210.23(C) for this. However, how would this be applicable for LED lighting as they are not typically lampholders?

I wouldn't pop in a 50 amp breaker unless you up-size your conductors, because that's what the breaker really protects.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Just thinking out loud, but I’m wondering if it is suggested to use HID rated breakers for use with LED sports lights. I used them for a recent sports light project but we were still using Metal Halide fixtures.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Speaking to the vendor, all fixtures are individually fused so I am thinking that is the overcurrent protection and the breaker wouldn't fall under the requirements to be 20A max rated?

Yes - the wiring you provide would be a feeder, not a branch circuit.

I also doubt the fixtures have any lamp holders. The LED's are probably on circuit boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.