LED strip and housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

My supplier uses a local company to custom build LED strips in an aluminum housing. They make a very nice product and provide the transformer and everything else needed for a nice install. But they are really expensive.

I had a 4' section joined to a 3' section with a jumper with the transformer and my cost was $400.

Anyone have an online supplier that will build custom assemblies? I am also curious what you all think of that price I listed. By the time I mark the product up it's almost $600 for a small section of under cabinet lighting. Or is that a normal price and worth the convenience of using a local company?

thanks

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How much are the materials without the custom assembly if you make them up yourself?

I use Diode LED Valent X Tape with their Slim channel. My supplier can order the individual items from Diode or have them ship a complete assembly. The assembled price is not much more but you have to allow 1-2 weeks additional ship time.

Most of the time I buy the tape, channel and lens then assemble in the field. I used to cut the channel/lens offsite on the chop saw but figured out I can make just as good of cuts in the field with the cordless circular saw with fine tooth carbide blade.

A local lighting store also offers assembly (cut tape, solder leads, cut channel/lens, and install tape in channel). I believe they charge around $20 for the service.

Todd0x1

For that kind of money I would keep the material in stock and buy myself a nice horizontal bandsaw to cut the channel......

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I buy channel in 2-meter sections (about $10 each), strip for about $40 for 16 feet, and build it myself. It doesn't take long to solder leads on.

Dimmable drivers are about $1.50 per watt

So those parts would cost about $150.00 for 4-ft + 3-ft

But there's a place in Merriam, Kansas called "Watts up" that custom builds. They might ship, too.

Todd0x1

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
You would now more, since I tend not to use these that much.
But when a strip cost 1/4 the price of the high end.
I would still give it a try lol
Depends on customer I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.