LEDs and digital cable receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microwatt

I decided to replace some incandescant lamps around the house with TCP LEDs. Some in the living room, some in the bathroom, some in the basement. Now, on occasion, if the fixtures with the LEDs are on it will interfere with the cable reception to some of my digital channels. I can literally stand there turning the lights on and off and watch the channels go out. This is the case with two different receivers in the house. I have considered calling the CSP but with the problem being so intermittent I can't be sure I will be able to replicate it. Any thoughts on what I could do to remedy the problem aside from going back to incandescants?

mgookin

The cable box should have an RFI filter right behind the plug port. First thing I'd look at is how old is your cable box. Call the cable company and tell them what model box you have and see if they have a more modern box. It should cost you nothing for a more modern box (just did it a moth ago - no charge from Comcast). A more modern box will have a more modern filter, hopefully. With more people going LED I'm sure you're not the first person to have this issue and they want you to be happy with your cable, so it's in their interest to resolve it.

Are these lights on the same circuit?

Another option is to install your own after market filter.

Microwatt

The lights are on different circuits from themselves and the receptacles. One of the receivers is a little newer than the other one. I'll give calling the CSP a try but they have a monopoly in my area as they are the only option other than satelite so their customer service is crap. The part that has got me is that is doesn't happen all of the time. I'll maybe look into my own filter as well but I'm a little out of my element and would have no idea what to look for in one. Are there certain frequency ranges I should look for?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have you tried changing the cables connecting the cable boxes to the TV's? I have had at least 2 service calls for picture issues on TV's. Both times the interconnect cable was the problem. Once was a cheap coax cable and the last one was a cheap HDMI cable.

iwire

Staff member
Are the lamps themselves listed lamps?

Or are they just cheap trash?

You should not have to add to or modify your electrical system to use them.

Microwatt

Have you tried changing the cables connecting the cable boxes to the TV's? I have had at least 2 service calls for picture issues on TV's. Both times the interconnect cable was the problem. Once was a cheap coax cable and the last one was a cheap HDMI cable.

I'll give new cables a try too.

Status
Not open for further replies.