LEDs flashing in new house

Status
Not open for further replies.
our new house was recently finished. They used incandescent recessed cans for lighting in the living room, but fitted them with halo drop in LED retrofits. I'm not normally much ova fan of LEDs, but these have great color and put off nice, evenly distributed light. Only one complaint. The ceiling fan and recessed LEDs are on the same circuit. Whenever the LEDs are on and you turn them off, then the fan, the LEDs flash. This only happens when you just turn the leds off, while the internal capacitors have some charge. I've never seen this with standard screw in LED bulbs, could it be an inductive kick of sorts from the fan turning off?

Electric-Light

It's just a quick flash. I'll try to video it and get it linked here to explain it better.

How bright of a flash?
Can you duplicate it with the fan off the whole time?

The running and break down voltage of LED are almost the same and LEDs can make detectable amounts of light at micro amp levels. I've seen fade-then flash upon turn off too caused by the way the LED ballast was designed.

mgookin

If you can get it in all one shot, show us the sequencing and timing of turning the switches off and the lights doing what they do.

I'm thinking the fan motor is generating the power that's lighting the lights.

JFletcher

or the cat / buttered bread, infinite power generator (I think I saw it here in the past)

View attachment 16024

:D

Cat-bread generator is too problematic; butter gets slung from armature, or the cat-rotor dies, thus creating a division by zero and an artificial black hole. Even attaching the cat to the shaft in the manner shown is likely to have grave consequences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do ceiling fans act as generators when shut off but still spinning? Apparently so, enough miniscule amount of power comes from them to light up the LEDs for a pulse.

A video of what you are describing would be most helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.