legal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaov

Pierre C Belarge said:
It sounds like someone is going to have to do the work, so...

1. find out the first EC's phone number to discover if he is being paid, and that the issue is not he "failed" inspection. Always, always give the other EC the consideration when being asked to follow another EC.

2. If you find out the call by the customer is legitimate, then discuss over the phone before you go waste any of your time that the cost may be more than discussed earlier, as there may be some remediation adding to the cost. If they are not happy with that discussion, say thank you and go on your way.

3. If they decide that you are to do the work, ask for at least 50% of the total cost to sign the contract, with the balance due the day of completion of the contract work (I hope you have a contract signed before you start the work).
File the job and good luck!
Very good advice Pierre!:smile:

tonyou812

well heres the update, I went by there today and It looked like a votech student did the work. Plastic junction boxes with old bx going into it and a few other "fun things" I need to get a new camera so I could take pictures next time. And it was supposed to be a upgrade to 200. The guy installed a 100 amp main breaker in the cabinet from the meter pan outside and trimed the 4/0 seu (thats right seu) so it would fit under the 100 amp breaker. the seu goes to the other side of the house through the attic and to the new 200 amp "sub panel" . My personal favorite was the way he spliced the two neutrals, he just wrapped them together and tucked it to the back of the box.
So he tells me the other guy (a friend of the owner) did the work and didnt finish it and wanted to know if I could finish it before tommorw because they want to close on the house right away. I tell him I cant do it today even if I wanted to. He says well cant you do it tonight? IM lauging inside, so I tell him alright give me a few hours to see if I can move some stuff around and maybe ill do it. I called him back 2 1/2 hours later and said " Oh Im sorry I cant get the materials by tommorow and that would have been the only time I could have given you. Try someone else maybe? When I really wanted to tell him to kiss my ass you should have went with me in the first place and you wouldnt be in this perdicerment. oh I forgot to mention it didnt fail there was a yellow sticker on the door that said "sorry we missed you" and it was for a 200 amp service change. That was the first time Ive ever seen a yellow sticker. Why didnt the inspector fail it when he saw the sevice wire wasnt rated for 200 amps?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh my gawd! This is better than a soap opera or even reality TV. I can't wait for the next installment. :smile:

cschmid

they want it done by tomarrow..If they did not want to pay the first time what makes you think they would pay the second time..better call the HI and see if the house passes the selling inspection..

wireman71

Who cares bout the the other EC.. They aren't your friend.. I'd just pull a new permit. T&M it high and be nice to them. Who cares if they didn't take your first bid. They are paying you now : )

GilbeSpark

Stay tuned for the next episode of, "Hack Electric." Show # Sure Maam, I can do it for at least half of the other guy's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.