Legal Responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Pezzuto

I have customers who have sever code violations that in my opinion present life threatning hazors to electricians working on their electrical equipment and or prsent a threat of fire. Also fine violations that could present life threatning hazard to perssons visiting their place of business.

I have notified and provided pictures of these violations to the property owners and after a week or longer no action has been taken to repair these violations. What responsibility do I have to report this issues to some authority and if I do not what is my liability.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you have notified the owners, then your responsibility is fulfilled. You have no obligation to report violations to the local inspectors. Even if you did, I suspect that they have no obligation to take any action. I would go so far as to guess that they have no legal authority to take any action. No inspector can walk (uninvited) into a person's house, declare that "this and so" is a code violation, and write up any kind of violation notice.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Don Pezzuto said:
I have customers who have sever code violations that in my opinion present life threatning hazors to electricians working on their electrical equipment and or prsent a threat of fire. Also fine violations that could present life threatning hazard to perssons visiting their place of business.

I have notified and provided pictures of these violations to the property owners and after a week or longer no action has been taken to repair these violations. What responsibility do I have to report this issues to some authority and if I do not what is my liability.

Obviously, your primary responsibility is to your employees safety. Presumably you have ordered your employees not to work on things that present a hazard to them.

You have already told the owner about the problem.

Once you have done these two things, IMO, your moral, legal, and ethical responsibilities have been met.

If you have employees working in the house, presumably they are doing electric work, does the work you are doing require a permit, if so an inspector probably can come in and say something.

On a slightly more sticky note, it has been my experience that the last electrician in a house is usually blamed for any incidents, without regards to actual responsiblity.
Just my 25 cents (inflation)
Tom

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
tmyers@jatc26.org said:
If you have employees working in the house, presumably they are doing electric work, does the work you are doing require a permit, if so an inspector probably can come in and say something.

Since when do building inspectors have any say over workplace safety violations?

satcom

If it is a business open to the public, then it would be a public safety issue, anyone could report that issue to the public safety division, usually your local police department, a complaint can be filed, and they will usually forward it to the construction department.

A good example would be, a toy store, where the outlets are hanging out, and a child can come in contact with them.

wireman71

Make sure you notified them in writing and I would submit the same document to someone in charge of fire and safety for your area. Not quite sure who that person(title) would be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.