Let the smoke out

Status
Not open for further replies.

memyselfandI

Today I just so happened to let the smoke out of a piece of equipment. You know, letting the smoke out is easy... the problem is getting it to go back in. Thank goodness it wasn't my fault, seems there was some serious degredation of the insulation on some conductors in the equipment. Man it sure was alot of smoke though.

480sparky

I can never get all the smoke back in. I end up replacing whatever I let the smoke out of. Just tell 'em you were testing the smoke detectors! :grin:

BTW, I never emply the magazine unless I have another full one.

quogueelectric

This used to happen quite often

This used to happen quite often

memyselfandI said:
Today I just so happened to let the smoke out of a piece of equipment. You know, letting the smoke out is easy... the problem is getting it to go back in. Thank goodness it wasn't my fault, seems there was some serious degredation of the insulation on some conductors in the equipment. Man it sure was alot of smoke though.
When my supervisor would insist on doing it his way....

e57

How exactly did the smoke get let out? You didn't cut that hose that keeps it in did you? Or did you melt that hose? If so, try cold smoke...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bikeindy said:
I witnessed twice when an F-16 Pilot let the smoke out of his aircraft. man that is a lot of smoke. They grounded him after the second one.
Are you sure they didn't bond him? :wink:

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Talk to someone at the manufacturers tech support. If you talk nice they may even sell you some replacement smoke and tell you how to install it.:roll:

480sparky

Maybe the tech guy can also tell you how to get all the dark out of a used dark-sucker so it will be able to suck up more dark.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
Maybe the tech guy can also tell you how to get all the dark out of a used dark-sucker so it will be able to suck up more dark.
Just curious: what is the speed of dark?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have read this entire thread twice and I have absolutely no idea what heck you all are talking about.

I did get the bonding and grounding thing.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
I have absolutely no idea what heck you all are talking about.

Come on man all of us have let the smoke out at least once.:grin:

I once let the smoke out of a Fire Alarm Control Panel....kind of ironic....in a bad day sort of way.:grin: The apprentice looking over my shoulder was the first to notice it....all of sudden he said 'Yo Dude!' in a panicked voice. :grin:

The strange thing was the panel still reset and appeared to work fine after the smoke letting. :confused:

We had a tech come out and replace a board anyway.:cool:

electricman2

Occupation
Last time it happened to me, I removed the cover on a 4S box and a wire nut dropped out. By the time we figured out that it was connecting 3 neutral conductors of a MWBC, found and opened the breakers, a couple of wall warts were history. They have a lot of smoke in them too!

Status
Not open for further replies.