Let's talk multimeters/meters

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Hello all, just wanting to create a thread so we can see what multimeter(s) you guys are using out in the field to get the job done every day.

Job: Industrial electrician (Mill)

Multimeter(s): Fluke 381 Clamp Meter
Fluke 1587 Insulation Tester/DMM

Pros: Fluke 381 - quick and easy to take ac amp readings, screen is magnetic and and be taken off the clamp meter and placed on cabinet wall.
Fluke 1587- great for testing anything from 120V-480V, has low pass filter for accurately testing VFD outputs, able to test start/run capacitors with it

Cons: Fluke 381 - sometimes clamp doesn't fit around wires easily at back of industrial control panels or around large AWG conductors that can't be moved easily, can't test start/run capacitors with it.
Fluke 1587 -each time to take ac amp readings (without breaking the circuit), have to unplug the standard test leads and plug in separate amp clamp

Post your multimeter and any other comments, recommendations, or tips/tricks.

OldBroadcastTech

Occupation
Retired Broadcast Technician
Well, slap me on the head with a rolled-up newspaper and call me Olde Phart, but........
I do carry a couple of el-cheapo DVM's, the E-Bay specials cause I'm always losing them or giving them to the younger generation that doesn't have even the basic test equipment

Attachments

• 260.jpg
    260.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 9

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Job: I make stuff that y'all put in really big buildings.

I have several, including one I don't own.

Complex work stuff <= 60Hz: Fluke 289 with all the toys, probes, etc. The downside is your spouse may file for divorce if they find out what you paid for everything. I have used it for designing and troubleshooting power supplies and voltage regulator things and the recording feature is nice for that.

Complex work stuff > 60Hz: Fluke 199C. I love it for everything from looking at RS-485 signals to 400KHz I2C peripherals on control boards. It's not mine. It was lost in the shuffle from some employee who relocated from Italy to the US. Then the guy who'd been hoarding it retired, and now it's mine until I retire. If any of y'all are struggling with RS-485 / BACnet / FieldBus / whatever commo stuff, go buy one of these off of eBay. Of all the portable, USB, whatever scope I've seen, this is the best. On the down side, 2 channel and not too fast.

Anything punking around 120/240: Fluke 333. I love it for the AC current clamp. It's worthless for a lot of what I do which is 24VAC or less these days. I used it a lot in my solar days when I was working on microinverters. The DC voltage was high (too high for digital work, is what I mean) enough to measure panel voltages, then I could measure AC volts and amps.

From my solar days I still have a Fluke i410 AC/DC current clamp. That along with my 289 to read its output and a Fluke 333 to measure AC current out of an inverter is the bomb.I have a Fluke 110 somewhere that I used to clip on to batter banks when I was doing battery-backed solar. I've not done battery-backed solar in ages. I think that combination of meters (or comparable) is awesome.

Job: fixing things other people broke, occasionally theatrical/exhibits or temp. power for outdoor events

lives-in-the-tool-bag: Fluke T+Pro, it does almost everything I need above 12 volts
lives-in-the-hobby-bag: some klien thing I was given (this bag goes to the steam engine shop and that kind of thing)
close-at-hand: Fluke 77, it still works so why get another :D ? Will probably get a 177 or 179 if it ever dies.

For current: Fluke 1400 clamp ($15 at a flea market!), Fluke 80i-110s ac/dc probe (courtesy of a former workplace that closed), Fluke 324 multimeter, and an old Amprobe :D

I used to have a 4+ digit Keithley bench-top, but it vanished in a move 20+ years ago. Don't need a 'scope at the moment, borrow a megger if I need one, would love to have a Fluke power quality analyzer (used to use a 41 Back in The Day) but it wouldn't earn it's keep right now.

garbo

Hello all, just wanting to create a thread so we can see what multimeter(s) you guys are using out in the field to get the job done every day.

Pros: Fluke 381 - quick and easy to take ac amp readings, screen is magnetic and and be taken off the clamp meter and placed on cabinet wall.
Fluke 1587- great for testing anything from 120V-480V, has low pass filter for accurately testing VFD outputs, able to test start/run capacitors with it

Cons: Fluke 381 - sometimes clamp doesn't fit around wires easily at back of industrial control panels or around large AWG conductors that can't be moved easily, can't test start/run capacitors with it.
Fluke 1587 -each time to take ac amp readings (without breaking the circuit), have to unplug the standard test leads and plug in separate amp clamp

Post your multimeter and any other comments, recommendations, or tips/tricks.
I used a Fluke

Post your multimeter and any other comments, recommendations, or tips/triB

garbo

Before I retired I used the great versitale Fluke model 1587 combination VOM / 50 TO 1,000 Volt megger for troubleshooting & PM'ing over 75 VFD'S a month. Saved me from carrying two meters instead of just this one. Very seldom measure ampere with it. Had a Fluke T 100 amp meter & a larger Fluke clamp on amp meter. Droped the 1587 off top of a 6 ' step ladder several times a year and never broke. Used it for over ten years. Be sure to order the special 1,000 volt fuses for the megger section. Blew them a few times while in a hurry jumping back & forth measuring voltage, resistance & meggering .Took the supply house a few weeks to deliver a few 5 paks of them. Never had to replace the megger test leads but went thru a set of test probes every two years

dkarst

Well, I'm not an industrial electrician but I did review meter capabilities before recently purchasing a new one so I'll give my opinions.

I can see the benefit of remote reading when in a situation in a mill with large rotating things. I think Fluke meters that have an "FC" suffix enable you to connect either the leads or clamp to the device under test when de-energized and then stand back at safe distance while meter transmits reading to your phone via bluetooth.

You mentioned the Fluke 1587 has low pass filter to read output of VFD, the Fluke 87V and 289 also have this capability. The Brymen/EEVBlog BM235 and BM786 also have this feature.

If you need mega-ohmeter capability then it seems the Fluke 1587 fits the bill and also provides you decent multimeter capability. If you don't need megger, then you're spending money on an unnecessary feature.

Some meters from Fluke, Klein and others have Lo-Z inputs that help with ghost or phantom voltages (typically capacitively coupled voltages induced on floating conductors). A solenoid tester can also be used or Fluke makes a "stray voltage eliminator" that provides same function for your multimeter.

Some higher-end Fluke and Brymen BM786 have "Auto-Hold" where you can probe a terminal and it will "freeze" a stable reading which is safer than finding a spare hand to push the "data hold" on the meter which many cheaper meters have.

Having temperature reading capability may be nice depending on your environment.

Brand/safety/ruggedness/warranty: As they say, when you pull out your yellow Fluke, nobody will doubt your seriousness and they do have a long reputation for quality and capability (and price). Amprobe which is now owned by Fluke is another option. Brymen makes excellent meters but are limited in availability in US and they are relabled to many other manufactured such as Greenlee etc. A couple of the Brymen models are available via EEVblog via the famous shopping site. Some other high-quality meters many have never heard of are Gossen, KeySight, Hioki and others.

I would personally stay away from the off-brands in an industrial setting. Get something with real CAT ratings as I have read of instances where some manufactures in far away places just print "Cat III 600V" or whatever they think is needed to sell the product. It is impossible to really meet these ratings and have cheapie glass tube fuses for protection. You should have a spare fuse in case you need it. It is a world of difference if you're measuring a large 460 V motor vs. helping the robotics team confirm 5V on the weekend.

I just saw a note that Fluke may be coming out with 87-VI FC to replace the 87V if that is of interest.