Letter of the code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvannevel

Re: Letter of the code?

I guess I should have looked at Roger's post before I posted. I would agree with you Roger about the 15 ampere gfci if one was existing. If they were simply applying new wallboard in the powder room, then fine. But, this is an installation of a new receptacle. If we follow the logic of it not being a safety issue, why not say we don't need 20 amp recept circuits in new bathrooms either? Not looking to start an argument here, just hoping to understand your perspective on this. I couldn't agree with you more about the common sense issue, and in this case since a Rehab Code exists, sounds like they'll be able to have the gfci on the 15 amp circuit. Better that than no recept at all. Just like life in general, AHJ's, contractors, and homeowners all need to use common sense and be a little bit flexible. But, as I cautioned in my other post, we need to be careful about how many exceptions we make to code compliance. If we make too many, the code's not worth the paper it's written on. Just my opinion...

gregory

Bathroom or powder room?
If you look at the definitions in article 100 for bathroom you will find that a powder room and bathroom are the same thing. below is definition from article 100

Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a tub, or a shower.

Greg

harold endean

Basically, I posted this to show two sides of the story. What the NEC says, the new Rehab code, and hopefully a happy medium. Now mind you NJ has this Rehab code. I am not sure how many other states have it or want it. Also I hope that we can all try to use common sense when we do electrical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.