Leviton load center

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Has anyone used it yet 10$ bucks for a gfci/afci 20a breaker seems like a really good deal almost to good ? I'm doing my house over and seriously considering it the only thing I don't like so far is your limited to 60a branch circuits. Anyone use these things yet and can comment?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Craigv

Has anyone used it yet 10$ bucks for a gfci/afci 20a breaker seems like a really good deal almost to good ? I'm doing my house over and seriously considering it the only thing I don't like so far is your limited to 60a branch circuits. Anyone use these things yet and can comment?

The limitation is for GFCI and AFCI breakers. There are standard breakers up to 125 amps.

https://www.leviton.com/standalone/LoadCenter/assets/doc/Load-Center_Line-Card.pdf

It does look very interesting. Agreed....prices seem too good to be true. I wonder if it works.

Craigv

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Craigv

If you download the spec sheet it's ays afci/gfci

Yeah, it's all wrong. Their page and description is a hot mess. It shows and lists the standard breaker, LB115, but down the page it links to the afci/gfci model, LB115-DF. And the price....$10.1740 ???? Huh?

So I called. That is the standard breaker.

What's the afci/gfci version cost? Well, look at that screwed up price above, and move the decimal point over two places. $101.74.

Nice product, but I'll pass.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Think of the obsolete Sq D Trilliant panels....no way I would install that panel.

I have a decent relationship with the Leviton Rep for my area. Since AFCI/GFCI technology is here to stay and wiring device manufacturers have been on the front line of this, including bribing :p the NEC writers to require this garbage, it only makes sense that they want to be in on the market. As such, and again, based on conversations with the Leviton guy, I don't think this will be fly by night stuff.

Adamjamma

Actually, if they had the riser panels available would really consider looking at their stuff more... the way Jamaica wants stuff wired, best way is either main lug only panels that have the through lug option or riser panels... because often times we need to put main breaker at bottom or feed panel from bottom and next panel from top...due to underground feeds...

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I'm doing my house over and seriously considering it the only thing I don't like so far is your limited to 60a branch circuits.

This thread came from my meeting Leviton factory reps at a trade show featuring the new Leviton residential panel last April.

If you have legacy multiwire branch circuits that you want to put AFCI or Dual Function GFCI / AFCI on, well, you simply can't as they don't have hardware to support it.

They don't have two pole AFCI or DFs.

There is no handle tie capability.

Craigv

Actually, if they had the riser panels available would really consider looking at their stuff more... the way Jamaica wants stuff wired, best way is either main lug only panels that have the through lug option or riser panels... because often times we need to put main breaker at bottom or feed panel from bottom and next panel from top...due to underground feeds...

Many load centers are listed for bottom feed and flipping over for bottom-breaker orientation.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I haven't seen printed documentation yet, but, if the Leviton Tech Support expert I spoke with last April is right, the vanilla Leviton AFCI breaker would actually be the second AFCI breaker that is NOT sensing ground faults.

Currently, the only publicly stated AFCI breakers without ground fault sensing are those made by GE.

Adamjamma

Many load centers are listed for bottom feed and flipping over for bottom-breaker orientation.
But, what about when you are required by local code to have a panel on each floor... it is easier to use the old MLO panels that could be fed from either end, and simply put a main adapter on both ends, thus keeping your breaker positions open... rather than going to the next number of breakers to allow for four positions on the panel to feed and pass through the power... turning it over works but you still lose the two positions as feed to next panel upstairs...

riser panels give best option but not carried as standard so can sometimes be costly to find..more costly than using to main breaker adapters on an mlo...

Craigv

But, what about when you are required by local code to have a panel on each floor... it is easier to use the old MLO panels that could be fed from either end, and simply put a main adapter on both ends, thus keeping your breaker positions open... rather than going to the next number of breakers to allow for four positions on the panel to feed and pass through the power... turning it over works but you still lose the two positions as feed to next panel upstairs...

riser panels give best option but not carried as standard so can sometimes be costly to find..more costly than using to main breaker adapters on an mlo...

Losing two spaces is far less costly than what any low-volume loadcenter will cost. In a two or three story house I wouldn't bother with riser panels, as the total load shouldn't be so high that you couldn't simply install a pair of feeders from the 1st floor panel, or feed first floor to second then second floor to third. Given that you say the typical Jamaican house rarely has more than a 60 amp service, how big of a load is on the second and third floor? Even in the US, a 200 amp service could readily be broken up into a pair of 125 or 150 amp MBP's fed directly from a meter/main Service Equipment, or a 200 amp MBP on the first floor with a 100 amp feeder breaker to the second floor MBP mounted on its head. There's any number of ways to economically address these situations.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Losing two spaces is far less costly than what any low-volume loadcenter will cost. In a two or three story house I wouldn't bother with riser panels, as the total load shouldn't be so high that you couldn't simply install a pair of feeders from the 1st floor panel, or feed first floor to second then second floor to third. Given that you say the typical Jamaican house rarely has more than a 60 amp service, how big of a load is on the second and third floor? Even in the US, a 200 amp service could readily be broken up into a pair of 125 or 150 amp MBP's fed directly from a meter/main Service Equipment, or a 200 amp MBP on the first floor with a 100 amp feeder breaker to the second floor MBP mounted on its head. There's any number of ways to economically address these situations.

How about this Square D Homeline panel? H4080M200PQCVP

80 circuits!!

peter d

I couldn't care less about AFCI's and all that garbage with this new panel so that's not a compelling feature to me. It's just another set of inventory and worse yet, a proprietary one. I'll gladly install one of these...on the bottom of the ocean. :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.