Leviton occupancy sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

Does anyone know if you can install more then two sensors to a lighting system. Need three to make the job work but can only get two to work together. Adding the third keeps the lights on.
Thanks
Fran

cadpoint

Go to the source, leviton.com. This narrows your search down a little, Here

I don't know the answer, I don't believe I've ever seen a 4 way installed as you've described, that doesn't have some sort of I/O controller in that product line.

gar

Occupation
EE
100206-1450 EST

FrancisDoody:

Define the logical function you want the occupancy sensors to perform. This is the starting point.

Suppose your problem is as follows:

1. The only control of all the lights in one room is via multiple occupancy sensors. No manual switching. All lights are in parallel. Thus, all on or all off.

2. The room is too large for one sensor to cover the entire area. Thus, multiple sensors are required.

3. There is no on delay. As soon as a person is detected by any one or more sensors (note this logic is an "OR" function) all the lights turn on.

4. Each sensor has an off delay. This delays the off time by a controlled amount so that short times of no detection do not cause excessive on-off cycling of the lights.

Suppose the sensor is designed as follows: It is line powered and has an isolated normally open output contact.

You supply always on power to all of the sensors.

The output contacts are wired in parallel to form an OR circuit. This set of OR contacts, only two terminals after paralleling, controls the lights.

If the lamp load is too high for the rating of the sensor contacts, then add a power relay.

If the sensors are two wire devices and use the load resistance of the lamps when the lamps are off to provide power to the sensor, then you may not and likely won't be able to just parallel the sensors. In this case you would need a relay on the output of each sensor, and maybe some additional load current in parallel with the relay coil to make the sensors work. The normally open relay contacts from each of the sensor relays would be paralleled for the OR circuit.

If your required logic is something different than what I outlined at the beginning, then a more complex logic system is required.

FrancisDoody

Thank you for the link to Leviton. It served no help. Same information as the installation guide. I have used there E-Z Learn course center on many of Leviton products including this one.

The sensor has three wires. The 24 volt power. The return path. The trigger. You should be able to hook-up multiple sensors to this system. For example RAB sensors you can fire a set of lights from any number of sensors tied together.

Just maybe a bad sensor

GMc

Does anyone know if you can install more then two sensors to a lighting system. Need three to make the job work but can only get two to work together. Adding the third keeps the lights on.
Thanks
Fran

Francis,

Here is a link of the ones we just had installed. I have not yet looked the job over but I'm almost sure there are multiple sensors because of the long hallways.

gar

Occupation
EE
100207-1037 EST

FrancisDoody:

You clearly have a low voltage sensor. This consists of power input for the sensor. Then the trigger wire. I would describe it as an output.

What is this trigger? I suspect it is either a solid-state switch or a relay contact. In either case, since there are only three wires to the motion sensor, this means the switch closes to either the common line or the 24 V power. Is the 24 V DC, AC, or either.

Assume the common wire, you referred to it as the return, is the reference point. If the output switch connects to common instead of 24 V, then whether the power is AC or DC does not matter.

What does the output lead (trigger) connect to? Are all the output leads connected together? If so, then they effectively create the "OR" circuit.

You can power one sensor and isolate its output lead from anything else. Then use a voltmeter from common (return) to the output (trigger) and see whether there is any AC or DC voltage present in any state of the sensor.

If no voltage, then switch to an ohms range and see what happens in the different sensor states.

Report back.

iwire

Staff member
My WAG is that each switch has an amount of current that passes through it even when 'open' (off).

When three switches are connected in parallel the cumulative current is enough to trigger the power pack into a closed (on) condition.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
What model number are you using?
I did a little search at the Leviton site and found this data sheet for the OSP
power pack. Assuming this matches what you are using?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/xxlcfbuibeCSrdSrchResults.jsp?cg=&kw=osp+power+pack&ds=0&dr=20&st=kw&cpg=0 Second one down was helpful.
Based on the data there the power pack should be able to power more than three sensors.

Are the units you are using PIR or also ultrasonic? You could get interference between units is they are ultrasonic and within range of each other?

gar

Occupation
EE
100207-1409 EST

Continuing from ELA's post.

This is a DC system. Regulated +24 V relative to common is most likely. Would be uncommon to use a single -24 V supply.

The current limit from 24 V is 150 MA. How much current does each sensor require?

A low cost way to provide the sensor output would be the use of either a 2N4400 (an NPN transistor) or 2N7000 (an FET) as an output sink. This means that the output would be close to a short of about 0.5 V to common when active and a rather high impedance when inactive (off). You could parallel many of these outputs with no problem. It is unlikely there would be a pull-up resistor with each of these outputs. One pull-up resistor would be at the Power Pak.

The 2N7000 has maximum drain current of 1 microamp with 48 V drain to source, 0 V gate to source, and 125 deg C junction temperature. A thousand in parallel would be less than 1 milliampere.

From a reliability perspective a relay output might be better at each of the sensors. A relay contact is not easily damaged from external large transient voltages.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
My WAG is that each switch has an amount of current that passes through it even when 'open' (off).

When three switches are connected in parallel the cumulative current is enough to trigger the power pack into a closed (on) condition.

Bob,

what is WAG?

hurk27

I have installed a few of these, and never had a problem other than not getting the DIP switch's set right, <<< PIA

The OSP power supply's, are 150 ma and would have no problem with the 20ma-40ma required by three units,
PIR (infrared) is the lowest at 20ma
multi tech is the highest at 40ma

they are very simple to wire, the power supply has a hot, neutral, two blue wires (20amp dry contact) for light switching.
for 120 or 277v just connect one of the blue wire to the hot, and the other will go to the load.

do not mix the HV blue with the LV blue as they are very different in size.

on the LV side it has a red (24+) Black (24-/common) blue (motion detect return) Gray (photo cell/motion return)

each sensor just wires in parallel, red to red, black to black, blue to blue (with the exception of using the gray for the photo cell operation in which you would cap the blue for that unit and connect the gray to the blue from the power supply.

there are three other small wires on the OSP power supply, that are a dry contact SPDT for very low current HVAC applications, which you would not use for the lighting control:

Common green
N/C Brown
N/O Brown/white
Do not connect these if your not using it for HVAC use

Other then a miss setting, I'm not sure why one is keeping the lights on if the units are wired as above.

Try to hook up one at a time to see which unit is the offending unit, then check the wiring and DIP switch's

Last edited:

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Bob,

what is WAG?
We're not supposed to even use hints or misspellings to get around forbidden word usage, so I'll leave you to figure what might fit between wild and guess. Perhaps you are familiar with the SWAG with scientific as the 1st word. I hope this answer does not get me in trouble.

hurk27

We're not supposed to even use hints or misspellings to get around forbidden word usage, so I'll leave you to figure what might fit between wild and guess. Perhaps you are familiar with the SWAG with scientific as the 1st word. I hope this answer does not get me in trouble.

And I just thought he was telling us he was happy by saying his butt was going back and forth:roll:

FrancisDoody

Conclusion

Conclusion

I found no help from leviton tech subport. However in the new sensor that I picked up on Monday was the note. Operate with A4 in the on position. After that they worked perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.