LFMC being counted in the 360 rule when changing over from EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I fully agree. But I think many are saying that it is a violation just to be connected that way in it's final operating condition. Obviously I disagree and doing it the way you have described is compliant. To say otherwise defies common sense of the intent of the 360 rule.
IMO, Code wording sidesteps the intent. It should specifically require that conductors not be pulled through greater than 360? of raceway bends.

hurk27

350.26 Bends ? Number in One Run. There shall not be
more than the equivalent of four quarter bends (360 degrees
total) between pull points, for example, conduit bodies and
boxes.

I think the problem is there is no NEC definition of a pull point? (at least that I know of)

And conduit bodies and boxes are just an example as stated right in the articles.

So IMHO the end of a conduit could be a pull point which would separate the two different wiring methods to 360? each.

We all know the intent of the 360? rule as to prevent wire damage and to allow the conductors to be accessible after installation, now if this transfer from one type of wiring method to another was done in a wall or other in accessible place that would render the ability to take this connection apart for adding or removing the conductors then I will agree it would be a accessibility violation as conductors in a race way are required to be accessible.

I think if we read 300.15(F) we can see a box is not always required

(F) Fitting. A fitting identified for the use shall be permitted
in lieu of a box or conduit body where conductors are
not spliced or terminated within the fitting. The fitting shall
be accessible after installation.

As we can see a Box or conduit body is not required for a pull point, but at the end this change over has to be accessible.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Do what? I have both pulled straight through, and out and back in.
I have never pulled out of, and back into a Cee; only straight through.
I think everyone considers a conduit body as separating conduit runs for the purpose of determining the 360? of bends limitation... whether they use it as a pull point or not.
Everyone with good sense and a good attitude, yes!:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.