LFMC IN CLASS 1 DIV 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stev11

Hi

I need to use LFMC in CLASS 1 DIV. 2 location between motor and explosion proof box, but I want to know if the following is enough
1- the total length of LFMC is less than 6ft.
2-OCPD is less than or equal to 10A.
3-The LFMC is listed for unclassified location with listed straight connector.
4-motor box and ex proof box are threaded with internal EGC.
5-There is ex proof union for grounding .

so, is there any need to use additional external bonding jumper or lockout for grounded and bonding issue ??
View attachment 8974 View attachment 8977

also i hope to find clear and direct reply.

Thanx

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
1, 3, 4 and 5 are acceptable.
2 is unlikely for a motor; it is usually applied only for instrumentation.
If the motor terminal box is required to be explosionproof, a seal is required there too.

Again, forget IEC practices. While the laws of physics and chemistry are universal, the laws of men vary by the instant and often by the inch (i.e., where).

I have included an IEEE paper that compares NEC and IEC practices. It is a bit out of date now with the ATEX directive in place, but it still is accurate. NOTE; it is not comparing US Divisions with US Zones. US Zones have as much in common with US Divisions as they have with IEC Zones.

stev11

1, 3, 4 and 5 are acceptable.
2 is unlikely for a motor; it is usually applied only for instrumentation.
If the motor terminal box is required to be explosionproof, a seal is required there too.

Again, forget IEC practices. While the laws of physics and chemistry are universal, the laws of men vary by the instant and often by the inch (i.e., where).

I have included an IEEE paper that compares NEC and IEC practices. It is a bit out of date now with the ATEX directive in place, but it still is accurate. NOTE; it is not comparing US Divisions with US Zones. US Zones have as much in common with US Divisions as they have with IEC Zones.

Mr Robert
thank you for your support also for IEEE paper I think I need to read it many times because its Summarize the explosion proof in NEC and IEC in 10 pages.

also is there any problem with grounding or bonding in the attached picture??

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Mr Robert
thank you for your support also for IEEE paper I think I need to read it many times because its Summarize the explosion proof in NEC and IEC in 10 pages.

also is there any problem with grounding or bonding in the attached picture??
Technically, IEC doesn't use explosionproof; it uses flameproof. The concepts are similar, but the test standards are different.

Your statement 4 should cover grounding/bonding for the LFMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.