Lfmc ( Liquidtite)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunthman

I have been trying to find in the code book where it say's specifically that LFMC ( sealtite) cannot be used in a Class-1, Div-1 area. The only reference that I can find close is 510:4 which has references to flexible connections. I always assumed that you could not use sealtite in a Div-1 are for two reasons. ( 1 )Mitigation of gases ( but code says the fittings do not need to be for that ares classification) and ( 2 ) because if there is a ground fault seperation of the convolutions could cause and arc / explosion as stated in 510:4 in the exception area ( blue highlighted area).
Is this assumption correct.?

Thanks, Charles G.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You won't find LFMC as specifically not permitted. Only permitted wiring methods are specified and LFMC is not one of them—ref: 501.10(A)(1). Additionally, 501.10(A)(2) does not expand on wiring methods listed in 501.10(A)(1) except to permit flexible cord which is not mentioned in 501.10(A)(1). The flexible connections in 501.10(A)(2) other than flexible cords specifies fittings, not wiring methods. Take note of 501.10(B)(2) where LFMC is specifically permitted for flexible connections in Class I, Division 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.