LFNC vs LFMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I’ve alway been a fan of metallic Sealtite over the nonmetallic Carflex.
When I see carflex used I always feel that it’s a little cheaper install, quality wise.
Other than being more expensive than carflex is there any code related issue with using one over the other?
I’m mostly referring to general installations in outdoor locations where flexibility is necessary.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
350.12 vs 356.12. There are (3) different reasons from what I read. But if you're talking of just hooking up a dozen residential AC units... I don't see a difference other than length.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO LFMC is stronger especially at the connection point to the connectors. Metal connectors actually thread into the spiralled metal portion of the LFMC and are less likely to come apart when installed correctly. Though not code recognized the LFMC also gives you a redundant EGC.

I’ve alway been a fan of metallic Sealtite over the nonmetallic Carflex.
When I see carflex used I always feel that it’s a little cheaper install, quality wise.
Other than being more expensive than carflex is there any code related issue with using one over the other?
I’m mostly referring to general installations in outdoor locations where flexibility is necessary.
I agree with you, I hate the non-metallic stuff with a passion. I always use metallic seal tight. Perhaps this is somewhat irrational, but to me it just screams out crappy DIY electrical work.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
LFMC can also break if abused. We have many raised floor lab areas and people are always pulling the long snakes of LFMC to move receptacles around. If you're not carerful when pulling them, especially if making a U turn between floor posts, it is easy to kink it which cracks the spiral armor. LFNC would just kink and bend back. We can't use the LFNC under our raised floors though, so were stuck with FLMC or EMT with shorter FMC or LFMC whips near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.