Liability insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard1599

Does anyone here know where licensed electrical contractor's liability insurance can be purchased at reasonable rates in the Baltimore, MD area?

Thank you,

zog

Bernard1599 said:
Does anyone here know where licensed electrical contractor's liability insurance can be purchased at reasonable rates in the Baltimore, MD area?

Thank you,

I am not an EC so I have to ask. Dont you need liability insurance to get an EC license in the first place?

480sparky

zog said:
I am not an EC so I have to ask. Dont you need liability insurance to get an EC license in the first place?

Maybe not a license, but I know it's needed for permits. At least in my neck of the woods.

Builders and GCs (and even HOs who do their homework) may ask for a certificate as well.

Bernard1599

Bernard1599 said:

Thank you,

Allow me to rephrase my original question.

Are there any licensed master general electricians in the Baltimore, MD area, on this forum, who can recommend an insurance carrier that writes liability insurance policies for licensed master general electricians in Baltimore, MD at reasonable rates. Any recommendations would be genuinely appreciated.

Thank you,

growler

Bernard1599 said:

Are there any licensed master general electricians in the Baltimore, MD area, on this forum, who can recommend an insurance carrier that writes liability insurance policies for licensed master general electricians in Baltimore, MD at reasonable rates. Any recommendations would be genuinely appreciated.

Are you looking for a agent or a carrier? An agent will be specific to the area but the carrier is going to be national or even international. For example the Maryland Insurance Group was bought out by Zurich North America. The actual carriers are huge companies.

Zurich as far as I know is still solvent ( unlike some others ). You can get reasonably priced insurance with Zurich as a carrier, it's based on the amount of work you do and the amount you wish to be insured for.

The best way to find an agent is to call around because some will try to sell you much more than you need ( can afford ). Basic Liability shouldn't cost you that much. It starts to cost when you want to insure your tools against theft and things like that, you do need it but may not wish to pay for it.

growler

zog said:

Many states will require liability insurance to keep the license active or even go active. This state as far as I know doesn't require liability insurace for a state license. But before you do any work you need a business license and many counties require a bond. It's kind of dumb not to have at least basic liability insurance. Most contractors carry a lot more than the most basic policy.

boboelectric

Bernard1599 said:

Thank you,
Safeco Ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.