Licencing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I've been doing electrical work for about 15 years, running jobs for about 10, I've worked for a few different companies, the first two wouldn't sign off on my hours and I haven't really worked at my current one for long enough to ask them to, and I'm kinda laid off currently, thought it would be a good opportunity to have the time to test- except every company was in a different state, and I would want to test for either masters/unlimited license, but don't know if I can test in any state, or how I could prove my hours

I've been doing electrical work for about 15 years, running jobs for about 10, I've worked for a few different companies, the first two wouldn't sign off on my hours and I haven't really worked at my current one for long enough to ask them to, and I'm kinda laid off currently, thought it would be a good opportunity to have the time to test- except every company was in a different state, and I would want to test for either masters/unlimited license, but don't know if I can test in any state, or how I could prove my hours

You will have to ask the licensing board where you are seeking a license and see what they require. When I got licensed in WA, I had to provide a summary of hours and jobs, and provide payroll documentation for it. I was able to come up with a decent job summary off of old calendars, books, and invoices. My learning was very informal with a one man show, so I was mostly paid with personal checks. I had to have my bank search their history for all all my deposits for a bunch of years past to find the checks. It can be a real hassle.

growler

You really need to say which state you are trying to get a license in. It's not the same in every state.

Once you apply to take the test they will send you a package of requirements. You will probably need to list all the jobs you have worked at and the types of work performed but you will only need to cover the hours for a specified amount.

Trying to cover your hours for 4 years out of 15 shouldn't be that hard. Some states don't even ask for proof of hours just letters of reference from 2-3 master electricians that you have worked for.

kwired

Electron manager
Certified W2 from the IRS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IRS doesn't distribute W-2's employers report what they paid an employee with them. Actually the W-2 is the employee's copy, employer reports this information to SSA with a W3

Do certified w2s show hours, or are they just estimated? And would primary hours be assumed ?

W-2 is a general form for wage reporting and is pretty general. For tax reasons hours don't matter and are not included. Jobs where tips are typically earned are taxed differently at times and tips are reported separately otherwise wages, salary, etc. are all the same thing to W-2 reporting and all that is on there is total earnings for the year from that particular employer.

Best thing to have may be paystubs. But if a past employer won't sign off on whatever else you asked for don't expect them to reprint any paystubs if you no longer have your copies (if you even got any when when you were paid).

One might be able to get some information from SSA, but will be just net earnings and not contain hours or anything like that.

karn

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure what state I would want to test in, I originally/mostly live in Michigan (last I checked you had to work in Michigan for 8000 hours before you can test), I never worked electrical in Michigan, just FL, ga, Al, Ms, nc, SC, for companies located in FL, nc, and Al

jeff48356

Not sure what state I would want to test in, I originally/mostly live in Michigan (last I checked you had to work in Michigan for 8000 hours before you can test), I never worked electrical in Michigan, just FL, ga, Al, Ms, nc, SC, for companies located in FL, nc, and Al

It doesn't matter where you've worked the 8000 hours; just as long as you can document them. If you just want to get your foot in the door with a license, then go to Tennessee and take their journeyman exam (called an LLE). They don't require any documentation to sit for the exam.

ritelec

I've been doing electrical work for about 15 years, running jobs for about 10, I've worked for a few different companies, the first two wouldn't sign off on my hours

Why, should be no issue unless you were off the books... other than that, there should be no reason they don't sign off
(unless you were let go or left on bad terms.. but even there, if so, apologize and if they still don't want to maybe offer $$$ intensive.)

just a thought

mlnk

In California you can use your social security accounting. I think work in other states counts.

kwired

Electron manager
In California you can use your social security accounting. I think work in other states counts.
Which would be reflected on W-2's. What is not on W-2 or in SSA database is hours worked, just total wages, salary, etc.

Now if you can show them $8000 of wages and convince them you were paid a dollar an hour..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.