license required??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a person be able to start a business in New Jersey performing parking lot lighting lamp replacements and ballast replacements without an electrical license? I asked this question to a local inspector and he said he believes no, but I thought you could do that sort of maintenance without a license. I tried to call the state the other day to ask but they didn't return my call yet. I have a close friend with a phone company auction bucket truck and he asked if this would be a possible business. I told him I would look into it. Thanks for responses in advance.

John120/240

The legal part will leave to Jersey folk.
So this friend wants to go into business ? Does he have any experience in light pole maintenance ? Does he have a business plan ? There is lots more that goes into a business than just hanging out your shingle & say "Look Ma I'm in business"

cadpoint

IMO

Your in NJ the love of money from licensing and inspections will eat your lunch alone
and the lack on the fact that you'd be doing electrical work with-out a license.

fugget about it!

The legal part will leave to Jersey folk.
So this friend wants to go into business ? Does he have any experience in light pole maintenance ? Does he have a business plan ? There is lots more that goes into a business than just hanging out your shingle & say "Look Ma I'm in business"

What is the relevance of your questions?? Not that's its your business to know but I own an electrical construction business. I'm licensed and insured. I have a masters degree in business from Princeton. I own other successful ventures as well. So to ease your mind I will be helping him on the business end. He does have a great deal of experience in electrical maintenance work. I'm sure you have an amazing wealth of business knowledge to offer myself and others but I would love an answer to the initial question.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/electric/electrical.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/electric/electrical.htm

You mean pretend to be a sign company that hates signs?

45:5A-18. Exempt work or construction
Electrical work or construction which is performed on the following facilities or which is by or for the following agencies shall not be included within the business of electrical contracting so as to require the securing of a business permit under this act:
(a) Minor repair work such as the replacement of lamps and fuses.
(b) The connection of portable electrical appliances to suitable permanently installed receptacles.
(c) The testing, servicing or repairing of electrical equipment or apparatus.
(d) Electrical work in mines, on ships, railway cars, elevators, escalators or automotive equipment.
(e) Municipal plants or any public utility as defined in R.S.48:2-13, organized for the purpose of constructing, maintaining and operating works for the generation, supplying, transmission and distribution of electricity for electric light, heat, or power.
(f) A public utility subject to regulation, supervision or control by a federal regulatory body, or a public utility operating under the authority granted by the State of New Jersey, and engaged in the furnishing of communication or signal service, or both, to a public utility, or to the public, as an integral part of a communication or signal system, and any agency associated or affiliated with any public utility and engaged in research and development in the communications field.
(g) A railway utility in the exercise of its functions as a utility and located in or on buildings or premises used exclusively by such an agency.
(h) Commercial radio and television transmission equipment.
(i) Construction by any branch of the federal government.
(j) Any work with a potential of less than 10 volts.
(k) Repair, manufacturing and maintenance work on premises occupied by a firm or corporation, and installation work on premises occupied by a firm or corporation and performed by a regular employee who is a qualified journeyman electrician.
(l) Installation, repair or maintenance performed by regular employees of the State or of a municipality, county, or school district on the premises or property owned or occupied by the State, a municipality, county, or school district.
(m)The maintaining, installing or connecting of automatic oil, gas or coal burning equipment, gasoline or diesel oil dispensing equipment and the lighting in connection therewith to a supply of adequate size at the load side of the distribution board.
(n) Work performed by a person on a dwelling that is occupied solely as a residence for himself or for a member or members of his immediate family.
(o) Any work performed by an alarm business with a potential of not more than 30 volts, involving the installation, servicing, or maintenance of a burglar alarm or a fire alarm, as those terms are defined by section 2 of this amendatory and supplementary act.1 Nothing herein shall be deemed to exempt work covered by this subsection from inspection required by the "State Uniform Construction Code Act," P.L.1975, c. 217 (C.52:27D-119 et seq.) or regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
(p) Any work performed by a landscape irrigation contractor which has the potential of not more than 30 volts involving the installation, servicing, or maintenance of a landscape irrigation system as this term is defined by section 2 of this amendatory and supplementary act. Nothing in this act shall be deemed to exempt work covered by this subsection from inspection required by the "State Uniform Construction Code Act", P.L.1975, c. 217 (C.52:27D-119 et seq.) or regulations adopted pursuant thereto.
The board may also exempt from the business permit provisions of this act such other electrical activities of like character which in the board's opinion warrant exclusion from the provisions of this act.
1Section 45:5A-18.1.

Last edited:
Are you saying an electrical license is not required to be a sign company? How can a sign company install and repair signs without doing electrical work?

Welcome to NJ, sir. Many states have quirks.Jersey had it's own.

Electrical machine repair and over head crane companies for the most part don't have electrical licenses. HVAC just got licensed here, I got mine. Before any mook with a card and perhaps a freon number (if he did A/c) was in business.

We are not technically master electricians here by name, just electrical contractors. There was master plumbers and now Master HVAC-R with those names. Back a few years ago, they crapped out a electrical journeyman level on the state level most people seem to ignore.

Our Neighbor Delaware has a bunch of Electrical licenses. I got my dad's NJ license backward's reciprocated there to a Master Electrician Unlimited. They also have a handful of limited included sign electrician.

My NJ license and my father's as well allows us to do anything we want with fire or burglar alarms. When I took my exam, you had a whole alarm exam to pass if you wanted to be an electrical contractor even though you never would use it. There is also limited licenses for just alarms here too.

The area is full of sign companies doing lot work in Jersey and Philly. Indians and Pakistanis doing car lots, gas stations, Dunkin Donuts. Subways, Mini-marts, etc... Koreans doing just their businesses, same for Vietnamese. I do high reach assistance with a 55' High Ranger and a 100' Skyhook if need be..

Let alone the magic Commonwealth of PA in which, $100 and proof of insurance makes you and "licensed town" industrial electrician working out of a Ford Explorer with a Harbor Freight pull behind fold Up trailer.:rant::rant::rant:

Be careful working for some service companies in and around the area.

Locksmiths are in the Fire Alarm, Burglar Alarm, & Locksmith Committee which sits under the electrical license examiner board here, yet I can't easily jump to locksmithing or do any of that stuff, except for electric access.

PS: Electric door companies are some grey licensing big money area for companies up my way. Walgreen's always calling for them.

growler

Are you saying an electrical license is not required to be a sign company? How can a sign company install and repair signs without doing electrical work?

In georgia you can install and repair signs without an electrical license.

You can but it's not really a good idea. When you get a permit for a sign installation you need to get an EC to do the electrical part. Unless a licensed contractor does the electrical install you can't close out the permit.

You have to have a means of disconnect so sign companies can work on the sign with power off so it's more of an appliance or equipment. They can't do any building wiring.

growler

Would a person be able to start a business in New Jersey performing parking lot lighting lamp replacements and ballast replacements without an electrical license?

I would love an answer to the initial question.

The best place to get this sort of information is not a forum. Any advice given on a forum would need to be checked out by the local authorities anyway so why not start there. Go to the city hall where he intends to operate the business and see just what is required to legally operate said business and obtain a business license.

Status
Not open for further replies.