License to buy material

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think a license should be required to do electrical work, let alone electrical supplies. :thumbsup:
I don't either, but to do such work for hire should require a license. Same for many other trades/professions.

Qualified or not would you hire an airplane mechanic that won't fly with you in your plane?

I don't think a license should be required to do electrical work, let alone electrical supplies. :thumbsup:

I think I would agree. Some of the worst electricians I have met were licensed guys from some of the most strictly regulated states - and their work with severe, blatant, fundamental NEC violations passed inspection. I think the answer might be to scrap licensing, and have more strict inspections (people who arent going to get a permit or inspections wont care about licensing laws either so licensing wouldnt weed them out anyway).

peter d

I think I would agree. Some of the worst electricians I have met were licensed guys from some of the most strictly regulated states - and their work with severe, blatant, fundamental NEC violations passed inspection. I think the answer might be to scrap licensing, and have more strict inspections (people who arent going to get a permit or inspections wont care about licensing laws either so licensing wouldnt weed them out anyway).

Well stated. :thumbsup:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Sometimes to many rules hurt. It takes passion and love to do a good job, and if the system doesn't let you feel that your work will suffer.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Interesting conversation here.

Most appear to be trying to balance personal freedom with public safety

What % of electrical compliance would you say constitutes this?

For ex, i'd say maybe 5% of my turf complies with life safety electrical standards, with maybe .05% meeting ALL current electrical codes

Then there are those who say our industry is to blame , the icons (whoever you may choose) IAEI, NFPA, et all lettered dept's have not congealed ,have not been on the same page, not swingin' for us....

I've no doubt the history bears this out.....

It all makes me feel like a flea, riding the gleaming edge of some huge bureaucratic pendulum ....

~RJ~

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Best thing would be to make the supplier responsible if they sell material to someone and the house burns down. Kinda like a bar being responsible if a patron is drunk and goes out and runs somebody over.

-Hal

How will you track who sells what? Do they have to put an indestructible label on every item, and maintain some sort of massive database? It may be years between installation and disaster.

SMHarman

That is a pretty stiff fine for first time compared to the slap on the hand you get here.

How does it work for homeowners doing their own work in their own home, I imagine it is allowed but permits maybe don't always get filed and creates some troubles if they get caught.

Next thing is where do they draw the line on maintenance type issues, like just replacing components for like components?
NYC technically requires a permit to.be pulled for that!

for the large majority of us who are working hard to install the correct materials in a professional manner I think it makes us look bad and unsafe when we allow anybody to buy all the wrong material.[/QUOTE]

Contrary my friend: The hack makes the professionals look good; not bad.
Milton Friedman thought there should be no test to pass for practicing medicine. The doctors reputation should be his only prerequisite to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
for the large majority of us who are working hard to install the correct materials in a professional manner I think it makes us look bad and unsafe when we allow anybody to buy all the wrong material.

Contrary my friend: The hack makes the professionals look good; not bad.
Milton Friedman thought there should be no test to pass for practicing medicine. The doctors reputation should be his only prerequisite to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

And if your patients tend to be loners without family and close friends, there is no body to pass on the bad news when you kill them. :angel:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Ah 'ol unca Milt , i haven't heard that name in a while, wasn't he the guy with the ' hidden hand of the market' ditty...? ~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
How do you unfollow a thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can unsubscribe a thread. It will still show up in individual forums or in a 'what's new' search, but will not show up in a subscribed threads search.

Default settings automatically subscribe you to any thread you post in.

Status
Not open for further replies.