License to buy material

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
It came on a flat car or box car to the rail-yard and had everything down to the paint and nails.
My wife's family has a Craftsman home on the old farm place. We were doing some renovating in there one time and found some interesting things.

All the original framing members have a number stamped on them - that likely corresponded to a number on the construction plans.

We did find a shipping label on the back of a piece of door casing from Sears in Chicago to the rail yard in the closest town.

I don't know the exact age of the home, probably after 1900 but before 1930 or so. It did have know and tube wiring that was put in during original construction though there wasn't utility power there until sometime in 1940's. There still is some gear in the basement that was part of a wind charger system, my guess is they have a wind generator and battery system and mostly only ran some lights originally. It was mostly light circuits that were K&T. What limited receptacles that were installed were likely added later after utility power came, those were in the old cloth covered type NM cable.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Also lets remember how super amusing it can be when you are in a big box store and overhear a DIY'er and the electrical dept worker trying to figure something out or explain something to each other....Hes got like a piece of SER some LFNC, 11/4 PVC, a handy box, and three of those meter offsets...... ;)

I don't know about your area, but in Florida the Orange one hires at least one licensed EC for their electric aisle. Blue, not so much.

kwired

Electron manager
I would also assume that is what retired ​means.
Could be. I don't know how it all works with unions, but if you are still a member in some status there could be issues. Retired may just mean you are not working anymore but are still a member?

Electric-Light

Somewhere, someone left the note behind that reads that regulations and restrictions should exist to serve the general public interest.

dionysius

It's well established that this is not discrimination.

That is unless they are choosing who they serve based on race, gender etc.

Iwire, you are way too logical to believe such since I read your postings with great respect. Deep within the "etc." layeth the conundrum anti-glue to unwind the entire universe. Race and gender at one time were merely yet to be exposed component parts of that "et cetera".

dionysius

It is impossible for humans to craft a law to sell to a select group without exercising some form of discrimination. Challenge that statement successfully and I will eat my hat!!!!!

iwire

Staff member
Iwire, you are way too logical to believe such since I read your postings with great respect. Deep within the "etc." layeth the conundrum anti-glue to unwind the entire universe. Race and gender at one time were merely yet to be exposed component parts of that "et cetera".

Whatever, the fact is a private business can legally decide they do not want to sell their product to a group outside their industry.

License to buy material

Do not agree about purchasing material; But I do believe authorities need to crack down on internet advertising ( namely craigslist ) of non-licensed electricians soliciting for electrical work. It is a crime in most jurisdictions.

kwired

Electron manager
Do not agree about purchasing material; But I do believe authorities need to crack down on internet advertising ( namely craigslist ) of non-licensed electricians soliciting for electrical work. It is a crime in most jurisdictions.
What kind of crime? Most won't spend any time in jail or even on probation so that makes it an infraction - same level of crime as a speeding ticket.

Step it up to a misdemeanor and there is possible jail time or probation.

blkmagik21

I feel that the box stores should charge more for material sold to customers without at least a business license. This is common with most businesses as they have standard prices and heavily discounted ones for contractors.

I really feel that the box stores like Lowe's and Home Depot charge to little for their parts. Especially the bread and butter things like 12-2 and 14-2. I know it's a way to get people there to buy things but seriously. Either the electrician charges markup for the material and the home owner pays more. Or the box store should hike their prices up 20-30% before selling to home owners.

This stops customers from running down to the box store and then picking apart your bill saying they can get the items cheaper. I always tell customers like that: go get your parts cheaper, but you won't have a warranty and you won't have it wired by me.

I do think there needs to be a way to make it harder for a customer who wants to work on his own home as well as the apprentices trying to install without their j card or contractor license. But making it illegal to anyone but an electrician, I feel is unconstitutional at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkmagik21

Many of the better items have to be applied correctly or your hair WILL break off, fall out, turn orange, etc. The $4 box of color from the drug store is unlikely to do any of that unless you really really screw up.

It's interesting to me too becuase hair care is still largely divided amongst racial lines, not because of race, but different hair types require different products.

Even if it were just distributor agreements/arrangements, I find it amusing that hair care has stuck together when nearly everyone else has gone every man for himself.

For electrical, there is nothing needed for a 250' roll of 14/2, but someone ordering a 2000A 480V switchgear is not installing that in their own home, if you get my drift.

I can however see this as being a possibility.

Making certain items that require indefinite experience to safely install be only sold to licensed electricians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What kind of crime? Most won't spend any time in jail or even on probation so that makes it an infraction - same level of crime as a speeding ticket.

Step it up to a misdemeanor and there is possible jail time or probation.
You've been living in Nebraska too long. The closer you get to a coastal metropolis (like NY, LA, Boston, etc.) the more stringently codes are and the more they're enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.