Licensing in New York State

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppertreeelectric

Re: Licensing in New York State

Peter, NY State does not have a state wide license. However many areas in NYS do require a license, for Example Long Island, NYC, Kingston, Albany, and other towns have their own license.
I carry a license in two of the areas I mentioned and about 6 other towns accept my license in their towns and cities.

You really need to contact the buildings dept in the area you're looking to work in to see if you actually need a license.

If your looking to get your license for the pure fact of having a license I would try and find the closest area to you that provides one.

What area are you in?

coppertreeelectric

Added: The requirements are usually 7+ yrs working under a licensed electrician.

5Yrs as an Apprentice and 2yrs as a journeyman.

This also depends on the area, but for the most part your looking at 7yrs exp with a work history check.

peter d

Actually, I'm in New England ,Connecticut to be exact. We have statewide licensing in every state here so things are fairly simple.

I have spent a lot of time in NY state so I was asking to satisfy my own curiosity. I am trying to figure out how it all works.

It seems awfully confusing to have to carry different licenses for different areas.

coppertreeelectric

I agree. NY is yet to adopt any NEC code beyond the 1999 code but localities have their own regulations. I live and work in a city environment that carries stricter regulations then less urban towns and is enforced by the local buildings dept. Its fustrating to not have a statewide license but for now we license by area.

Status
Not open for further replies.