Life Expectancy for Electrical Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
20 years is far too short for things like circuit breakers.
I've seen GE breakers faulty when new from the box. I've seen QO breakers 40 years old, still working well. Same with Cutler-Hammer CH. Other stuff somewhere in the middle. Our plant has both Siemens and Square D panels and switchgear. Much more trouble with Siemens in general.

paulengr

Also should be clear by now that about the time a particular design/product line is obsoleted is the point where we know what expected lifetimes are! You make your best guess. Manufacturers try to stick to known/good product designs but you just don’t know.

Case in point is the biggest recent innovation in circuit breakers is the magnetic actuator. In a VCB it can be built with just one moving part. Tavrida makes an incredibly compact MV VCB based on this. ABB started using it much earlier with their Mag Gard but it has a bunch more linkages. In theory these should have 40+ year life and the drastically simpler mechanism should be superior to traditional latching designs. Neither company “invented” it. A little known British engineering company did. So is it superior? For that matter is the Tavrida going to hold up over time? We’ve only got 10-15 years if operating data but it’s looking good so far.

A counter example exists. People said/felt the same way about solid state protection relays too. On paper electronic components should beat out an induction disk electro-mechanical mechanism. Yet they started failing in only 10 years. I’ve even seen just plain bad designs. GE Wavepro breakers have had contact tips literally fall off the breakers in 18 months of service in more than one facility.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Also should be clear by now that about the time a particular design/product line is obsoleted is the point where we know what expected lifetimes are! You make your best guess. Manufacturers try to stick to known/good product designs but you just don’t know.

Case in point is the biggest recent innovation in circuit breakers is the magnetic actuator. In a VCB it can be built with just one moving part. Tavrida makes an incredibly compact MV VCB based on this. ABB started using it much earlier with their Mag Gard but it has a bunch more linkages. In theory these should have 40+ year life and the drastically simpler mechanism should be superior to traditional latching designs. Neither company “invented” it. A little known British engineering company did. So is it superior? For that matter is the Tavrida going to hold up over time? We’ve only got 10-15 years if operating data but it’s looking good so far.

A counter example exists. People said/felt the same way about solid state protection relays too. On paper electronic components should beat out an induction disk electro-mechanical mechanism. Yet they started failing in only 10 years. I’ve even seen just plain bad designs. GE Wavepro breakers have had contact tips literally fall off the breakers in 18 months of service in more than one facility.
I hope so. We have a system full of them and CMRs

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

Not familiar with Wavepro but not surprised. GE is a junk brand as far as electrical components go. I don’t like any of their products. I guess their appliances are still OK.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Not familiar with Wavepro but not surprised. GE is a junk brand as far as electrical components go. I don’t like any of their products. I guess their appliances are still OK.
Well, I have bad news for you. The GE appliance division was sold to a Chinese owner a few years ago. That is also true of a number of GE branded products that GE no longer has any ownership in. Sad, just sad.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Well, I have bad news for you. The GE appliance division was sold to a Chinese owner a few years ago. That is also true of a number of GE branded products that GE no longer has any ownership in. Sad, just sad.
GE also sold their PLC business to Emerson. In my opinion Emerson is a much better company than GE. I think it will work out better for the PLC business to be owned by Emerson.

Status
Not open for further replies.