Life Safety vs Legally Required

welectrical

Occupation
Engineer
What is the difference between life safety and legally required emergency power?

It seems like life safety is only for healthcare facilities and maybe lighting? But lighting is also included in legally required.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You are correct, "Life Safety" is an article 517 item which is pretty much aligned with article 700 "Emergency Systems".

For the actual difference in Emergency System, Legally Required, and Optional Stand By see 700.1, 701.1, and 702.1. Take note of the I.N.'s

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . legally required emergency power?
That is a contradiction in terms. There is "Emergency, " per article 700. There is "Legally Required Standby," per 701. There is "Optional Standby," per 702. There is no "legally required emergency."

I have long since urged people not to use "emergency" as a generic term. It's not an "emergency generator"; it's a "backup generator" that can serve articles 700, 701, and/or 702 systems.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I have long since urged people not to use "emergency" as a generic term. It's not an "emergency generator"; it's a "backup generator" that can serve articles 700, 701, and/or 702 sysystems.
I say this all the time.
We don't call it emergency. That's up to someone further up the food chain.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That is a contradiction in terms. There is "Emergency, " per article 700. There is "Legally Required Standby," per 701. There is "Optional Standby," per 702. There is no "legally required emergency."

I have long since urged people not to use "emergency" as a generic term. It's not an "emergency generator"; it's a "backup generator" that can serve articles 700, 701, and/or 702 systems.
I agree with you in that the term "emergency" should not be used unless it is a system serving an Art. 700 load. I often have people starting a conversation with "I have an emergency generator" as generic term and I always stop them and get clarification. As we know there are big implications when it is really an emergency system as opposed to an optional standby system.
But I do beg to differ on calling all gensets a backup generator and inferring that it can supply Art. 700 loads. A genset that supplies Art. 700 loads must be certified as Level 1 per NFPA 110. Yes, it can also supply other than Art. 700 loads. Many gensets are not suitable to supply Art. 700 loads.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
But I do beg to differ on calling all gensets a backup generator and inferring that it can supply Art. 700 loads.
Not what I said, and not what I believe. It's a "backup generator" until you decide what you are going to do with it. What I oppose is calling it an "emergency generator" as a generic description, before you know what loads it will serve. If for example you decide to use it to supply egress lights, it becomes an "emergency generator," no longer a "backup generator," and all the related article 700 requirements come into play.

BTW, the writer (or speaker) implies, and the reader (or listener) infers.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Not what I said, and not what I believe. It's a "backup generator" until you decide what you are going to do with it. What I oppose is calling it an "emergency generator" as a generic description, before you know what loads it will serve. If for example you decide to use it to supply egress lights, it becomes an "emergency generator," no longer a "backup generator," and all the related article 700 requirements come into play.

BTW, the writer (or speaker) implies, and the reader (or listener) infers.
Charlie, I did not mean to offend or misinterpret your post. I was just trying to clarify that many gensets are not suitable to supply an Art. 700 system. This has been an issue that has come up a number of times in my experience.
I feel confident we are on the same page.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Charlie, I did not mean to offend or misinterpret your post. I was just trying to clarify that many gensets are not suitable to supply an Art. 700 system. This has been an issue that has come up a number of times in my experience.
I feel confident we are on the same page.
I think it was Hillbilly that had to replace a generator that couldn't meet art 700 requirements.