Light Dimmer Switch Combination - Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

me88me

Hi there everyone!

So I have a 5 light switch box and I want to change it to a 3 light switch box. Each light switch controls one track(total of 4) of 3 lights and 5th switch controls an outdoor light. Each light is 50W and the light switch can handle up to 600W. I am planning on moving the light switch lower in the wood area because I cracked the mirror and would need to replace it.

I'm planning on using a 14/2 Romex wire to wire these light switches. I want to combine light switch 1 and 2 to one of the dimmers, 3 and 4 to another dimmer, and 5 to one dimmer. My question is, can I use a wire nut to combine all the wires from 1 and 2 to the 14/2 romex and fish the wire thru the studs, do that for 3 and 4, and lastly 5, so that I'll only need to fish 3 wires thru the studs to the new location.

I figure I can house the wire nut wires in the exsiting box so that the new location will be cleaner and also I won't need to drill such a big hole in the studs to fish all the wires thru.

I'm just worry that i'm not doing stuff to code when combine 2 tracks of lighting into one switch or worried that it may cause some problems. Let me know if you have any advice on how to go about this.

gkGEmwp.jpg

OtNOETo.jpg

iwire

Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.