Light Fixture supports in suspended ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

haskindm

I believe it was the same as it is now. IF the fixture was supported by the ceiling grid it had to be securely fastened to the grid, HOWEVER (at least in this area) the fire code required that fixtures in suspended ceilings MUST be supported separately from the ceiling. My understanding is that the fire department wants to be able to pull the ceiling grid down in order to reach a fire above the ceiling, but the lights need to remain in place. Another example of multiple codes affecting our installations.

raider1

Staff member
haskindm said:
I believe it was the same as it is now. IF the fixture was supported by the ceiling grid it had to be securely fastened to the grid, HOWEVER (at least in this area) the fire code required that fixtures in suspended ceilings MUST be supported separately from the ceiling. My understanding is that the fire department wants to be able to pull the ceiling grid down in order to reach a fire above the ceiling, but the lights need to remain in place. Another example of multiple codes affecting our installations.

In addition to what you have already stated, areas in a high seismic zones have additional requirements for securing light fixtures within the ceiling grid system. These requirements come from the building codes.

Chris

Lights supports - continued

Lights supports - continued

Okay let me explain the reason for asking;
These lights are only being re-lamped and the owner doesn't want to go back and tie a considerable amount of them, if he doesn't have to.
The building was finished in 1987 so, it was probably the 1984 Code that applied at the time, would that make a difference?

quogueelectric

egurdian2 said:
Okay let me explain the reason for asking;
These lights are only being re-lamped and the owner doesn't want to go back and tie a considerable amount of them, if he doesn't have to.
The building was finished in 1987 so, it was probably the 1984 Code that applied at the time, would that make a difference?
If it is preexisting nonconforming why not just relamp them?

mdshunk

egurdian2 said:
Who, in their right mind, would even suggest retro fitting tie wires on fixtures that are only being relamped? To me, that puts that man who made that suggestion in safety nut territory.

From the old NEC:

NEC, 1984, 410-16(c) Suspended Ceilings. Framing members of suspended ceiling systems used to support fixtures shall be securely fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Fixtures so supported shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical means, such as bolts, screws, or rivets. Clips identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and fixture(s) shall also be permitted.

If you wanted to do something, get a bunch of the Caddy clips and call it good.

haskindm

egurdian2 said:
Alright, thank you guys.
Somebody got away with it back 20 years ago.
Got away with what? You have not told us what you think is in violation.
If the fixtures are supported seperately from the grid as required in some fire and seismic codes, they do not have to be fastened to the grid. If they are supprted by the grid (an not from the building structure) then they must be fastened to the grid. What is the problem someone is trying to correct?

raider1

Staff member
If the fixtures are supported seperately from the grid as required in some fire and seismic codes, they do not have to be fastened to the grid.

Not neccessarily. The seismic requirments in my area require you positively attach the fixture to the grid system and also provide 2 seismic support wires from oppisite corners of the fixture to the structure above.

Chris

haskindm

I stand corrected. I am not familair with seismic requirements. It has been a long time since I have felt "the earth move"; but I gues that is a subject for another forum....

raider1

Staff member
haskindm said:
I stand corrected. I am not familair with seismic requirements. It has been a long time since I have felt "the earth move"; but I gues that is a subject for another forum....

Thats OK. I live right on a fault line so seismic requirements are pretty important. :)

The reason that you must attach the fixture to the grid as well as independantly support them, is in the event of an earthquake the light fixture will begin to violently swing and sway and if not attached to the grid can actually cause damage to the grid and cause the grid to come apart.

Chris

brett711

in south florida inspectors want the fixtures screwed into the grid, as well as seperate grid wire to attach to the fixture..the (clips) on the actual fixture is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.