Light Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrrusty

I have a customer who purchased some light fixtures from a local and reputable lighting supplier and the fixtures did not have any UL stickers on them and the way they had to be assembled was very questionable; I asked the manager of the store about the fixtures and was informed that they have been selling that brand of fixture for over 7 yrs and that they were fine;My question is.. should I have gone to the manager or should I go to the owner or just let it lie? (these folks do give me a fair amount of work)

shocker3218

Re: Light Fixtures

When doing an Arby's restaraunt owner supplied light fixtures were weird to say the least. It was a "jelly jar" fixture installed on a half-moon that was to be installed in the exterior brick wall of the building. I have a good working relationship with the inspector, so I called him to ask for advice on mounting (no j-box on fixture at all, finished wall on inside of building, light mounted about 2 ft below ceiling)

Inspector discovered that UL label was for "jelly jar" only and did not apply to fixture as modified/built. (fixture was sold as a recessed fixture) Owner then substituted surface mount fixture and it came in with the exact same label.

Watch the labels, and if it looks bogus or funny, check into it further. My inspectors look for UL labels on every fixture.

bphgravity

Re: Light Fixtures

There is an artist/fabricator in my community that makes light fixtures out of just about anything. Alligator heads, dear antlers, etc..

Some are equipped with cord-and-plug attachments, some are for "hard-wiring" installation. A homeowner ordered a few chandelier type fixtures made of various animal and tree parts. The electrician to install them (not me) was concerned about their allowance per the code.

Upon contacting the local AHJ to determine if the fixtures would be allowed, the AHJ informed the electrician that they were aware of this artist's work and would simply need to see the fixtures before installation and would proceed to apporve their installation if no problems were found.

Obviously, the artist does not have UL listing of his products, nor do they meet any type of ANSI/NEMA specifications. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.