light keeps burning out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchy

I have a Hunter fan in my son's room. It's the baseball one with bat shaped blades and a baseball globe. The maximum wattage is 100 for the light. The problem is the light bulbs burn out prematurely. I've tried rough service bulbs and standard ones and all the connections are good. Sometimes they burn out in as little as a month. We are on fan #2 of the same model with the same results. I haven't tried CFL's as the 100w equivalent is too long and he needs as much light as possible. Any thoughts?

Teaspoon

I have a Hunter fan in my son's room. It's the baseball one with bat shaped blades and a baseball globe. The maximum wattage is 100 for the light. The problem is the light bulbs burn out prematurely. I've tried rough service bulbs and standard ones and all the connections are good. Sometimes they burn out in as little as a month. We are on fan #2 of the same model with the same results. I haven't tried CFL's as the 100w equivalent is too long and he needs as much light as possible. Any thoughts?

Have you checked your voltage?
Might try 130 volt bulbs.

kwired

Electron manager
most cases of bulbs not lasting very long that I run into is because of loose connections in the lamp socket. most often the rivet that creates the connection to the shell of the lamp holder is loose and will usually have signs of arcing this causes excess heat in the lamp and shortens the life. sometimes this is caused by too high wattage lamps being used, sometimes by over torquing the lamp when installing. Lamp holders with brass shell usually have less of these troubles.

Last edited:

Minuteman

I've noticed that the screw shell on some cheap fixtures seem to either be made from a low grade material, or are slightly oversized. I have noticed some supply houses selling lamp grease. Got me thinking, so started using vaseline on the lamp threads. Seems to help.

kwired

Electron manager
I've noticed that the screw shell on some cheap fixtures seem to either be made from a low grade material, or are slightly oversized. I have noticed some supply houses selling lamp grease. Got me thinking, so started using vaseline on the lamp threads. Seems to help.

helps install new lamp but after getting baked from the heat of the lamp do they come back out without breaking bulb and or socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.